Skill Up! With the Ohio Individual Microcredential Assistance Program (IMAP)
Now's the time to jump start your career in IT and take advantage of no-cost training at UC. If you are an Ohio resident who is low income, partially unemployed, or totally unemployed, this program is for you. The University of Cincinanti will cover all tuition, fees, and additional costs to help you learn new skills and earn a credential that can lead to a good job!
Apply for no-cost training for in-demand tech skills!
Next session coming soon! Submit your application to get started.
The UC IMAP program is in partnership with the state of Ohio Governor's Office of Workforce Transformation.
Upcoming IMAP Courses:
Certificate: Google IT Support Professional
This hands-on introduction to IT course uses the Google IT Support Professional Certificate, developed by Google and hosted by the Coursera online learning platform. There are thousands of open entry-level IT-related jobs in the Cincinnati region, and this program will provide you with the requisite knowledge and experience necessary to find work immediately in several types of IT-related roles. No experience is necessary for this program.
Kenny R. Pope
Assistant Professor Educator, Acad Aff Exp Based Learning/Career Educ
830H Steger Student Life Cntr
Certificate: Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) Associate for Excel
This course will cover the fundamentals of creating and managing worksheets and workbooks, creating cells, ranges, and tables, applying formulas and functions, and creating charts and objects. Participants will be sufficiently proficient to address managing data import and export, cleaning and entering data, understanding advanced functions, analyzing and presenting data, conditional formatting, basic charts and pivot tables.
- Asynchronous classes–you learn at your own pace.
- Live office hours 2 hours per week
- Full practice test.
- Microsoft Excel 2019 and PC is required.
- Course includes taking the MO-200 certification exam
Certificate: Azure Fundamentals
Whether you’re new to the field or a seasoned professional, mastering the basics in Microsoft Azure can help you jump-start your career and prepare you to dive deeper into the many technical opportunities Azure offers. The certification validates your basic knowledge of cloud services and how those services are provided with Azure. Candidates should be able to demonstrate a fundamental knowledge of cloud concepts, along with Azure services, workloads, security, privacy, pricing, and support.
- 30 hours per week online instruction.
- The course is self-paced with instructor support.
- Weekly check-ins and office hours. Support from UC instructors and Teaching Assistants
- Weekly Virtual Panels Certificate curriculum, plus communication, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills
- Course includes taking the MS AZ-900 certificate exam, after assessment
Certificate: Azure Data Fundamentals
In Azure Fundamentals, you will gain the foundational knowledge of cloud services for a career in IT. This course is intended for non-technical candidates who want to understand the cloud-based solutions for offering services such as sales, purchasing, and marketing of cloud services. This course prepares you for the AZ-900 exam.
- Asynchronous instruction, with live office hours.
- 4 weeks, 20 hrs/week, online instruction.
- Includes weekly assignments, hands-on labs.
- Taught by UC faculty includes certification curriculum and communication, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills training.
- Course includes taking the MS DP-900 exam
Certificate: ITILv4 Foundation
This three-day course will provide knowledge of the ITIL® terminology, structure, and basic concepts and comprehension of the core principles of ITIL® practices for service management. You will review key concepts of service manager and how value creation is enabled through services.
- Three-day Bootcamp, 9 am-5 pm on Wednesday, Thursday & Friday.
- Live Online Instruction.
- Course includes access to all content via Peoplesoft.
- Course includes taking the ITILv4 certification exam
Mark Romito, CISA, CISM, ITIL 4 Foundation & MPT- ITIL® Accredited Trainer
An accomplished IT Business leader with a proven track record. Mark has a competent passion for ITSM best practices and solutions surrounding business processes, InfoSec, tactical process standard, and execution.
Certificate: CompTIA Security+
This an international, vendor-neutral certification that validates the baseline skills necessary to perform core security functions and pursue IT security careers. Security+ emphasizes hands-on practical skills, ensuring the security professional is better prepared to problem solve a wider variety of issues. It focuses on the latest trends and techniques in risk management, risk mitigation, threat management and intrusion detection.
- 4 weeks, 30 hours per week online instruction
- Support from UC instructors and Teaching Assistants
- Weekly Virtual Panels
- Certificate curriculum, plus communication, critical thinking, and problem solving skills
- Course includes taking the SYO-601
Note: Students who earn CompTIA Security+ Certification and enroll in the UC BSIT Degree can seek Prior Learning Assessment and may earn credit for IT-related courses.
Assistant Professor, School of Information Technology, CECH - School of Information Technology
150B Teachers College
Certificate: Google Professional Certificate for UX/UI
Individuals trained in User Experience and User Interface are in high demand. Experienced designers focus on the interaction that users have with products, like websites, apps, and physical objects. They make those everyday interactions useful, enjoyable, and accessible. Gain in-demand skills that will prepare you for an entry-level job.
- Asynchronus online, self-paced
- 10 hours per week
- You can complete the certificate in less than 6 months.
Certificate: DevOps Foundation®
This course is designed for a broad audience, enabling those on the business side of an organization to obtain an understanding of the benefits of DevOps concepts such as continuous delivery, continuous deployment and the associated enabling technologies. Those on the technical side of an organization to obtain an understanding of the business value of DevOps to reduce cost with increased quality to support business objectives in support of digital transformation initiatives.
- 16 hours.
- Live Online Instruction with Instructor
- Learner Manual (excellent post-class reference)
- Participation in our in-class GAME ON! An Interactive Learning Experience®
- Course includes option to take the DevOps Foundation certification test.
Certificate: Adobe Certified Associate: Photoshop
In this intermediate level course, students prepare for the Visual Design Using Adobe Photoshop CC certification exam. Emphasis is placed on raster design applications, terminology and technical skills as they impact visual aesthetics. Project work creating and editing images for the web and print, and client interaction. This class will build on student’s previous knowledge of Adobe Photoshop.
- Classes will meet online, biweekly for 4 weeks
- Instructor led tutorials and demonstrations
- Weekly interactive critiques of projects that demonstrate application of knowledge
- Course includes taking the ACA Photoshop certificate exam
Certificate: Adobe Certified Associate: Illustrator
In this intermediate-level course, students prepare for the Graphic Design, and Illustration Adobe CC Certified Associate certification exam. Emphasis is placed on vector design applications, terminology, and technical skills as they impact visual aesthetics. Project work includes creating scalable graphics for web and print. This class will build on student’s previous knowledge of Adobe Illustrator.
- Class will meet online and twice a week for four weeks
- Instructor-led tutorials and demonstrations
- Weekly interactive critiques of projects that demonstrate the application of knowledge
- Course includes taking the ACA Illustrator certificate exam
Certified Adobe Associate
Libby is an Instructor at the Cincinnati School for the Creative and Performing Arts. She is a Certified Adobe Associate in Print & Digital Media Publication-Adobe InDesign, Digital Communication-Photoshop, Graphic Design & Illustration-Illustrator.
IMAP success stories:
Fill out your application now!
The application form takes approximately 4 minutes to fill out. You may be eligible for this program is you are:
- A resident of Ohio
- Currently unemployed, underemployed or low income
- An individual looking to make a career change
As a graduate of this program, you will have access to career development tools and services to help you get a good job!
Students who complete our programs gain access to exclusive job boards, resume review tools, personal branding tools, and career guidance including resume reviews, networking, and interview skills through UC's NEXT Apprenticeship Program.
Our courses are all live, online, and instructor-led, so a working computer and reliable internet connection is required. Attendance is also required.
The certifications offered through the IMAP program are in high-demand by organizations in the marketplace. Having one or more of these certifications can definitely help you find a new or a better job. In addition, as a graduate of this program, UC offers career support services through our NEXT Apprenticeship Program.
No cost to you for the program training or exam fees.
There are no formal requirements. Some understanding of IT is helpful, but not necessary.
The foundational courses can prepare you for a entry level position in IT. Depending on your interests, you may want to include other courses to develop your expertise for a higher-level position.
No, this program is for Ohio residents only.
Yes. You are entitled to take any number of courses in the IMAP program, as long as they are relevant to your background and goals.
Yes. We expect you to attend the full course, do the studying necessary, and and take the certification exam.
The IMAP program covers only one exam attempt. If you fail your exam on the first try, you can take a subsequent attempt by covering the actual cost of the certification exam.