What to do before you leave for the holidays
As you prepare to head home for the holidays, check out the tips below on keeping your residence hall room, apartment or house safe while you’re gone.
- Lock your doors and windows before you leave.
- Do not pack your car the night before you leave.
- Take your money and valuables with you.
- If you cannot take valuables with you, make sure you have an inventory with the make, model and serial number.
- Leave a porch light on if you live in an off-campus apartment or house.
- If possible, place indoor lights on an automatic timer.
- Unplug electronics, especially decorative holiday lights.
- If you plan to leave a car behind, remove all valuable items. This includes small items, such as spare change and phone chargers. Remember to lock all car doors.