2021 First–Year Covid Reboot
The 2021 First–Year Covid Reboot is a special program for first–year students who may have faced academic difficulty transitioning to college, especially those who experienced difficulties caused by COVID-19. This ‘reboot’ provides an opportunity for a fresh UC cumulative grade point average necessary to achieve academic goals. This limited program will be offered to first–year students who entered Summer 2020, Fall 2020, or Spring 2021.
Reboot Policy Information
A University of Cincinnati undergraduate student may petition their college to have their previous courses treated in accordance with the college’s academic fresh start policy.
- For the First–Year Covid Reboot program, the student’s University of Cincinnati start term must be Summer 2020, Fall 2020, or Spring 2021.
- The First–Year Covid Reboot is not automatic and is not guaranteed.
- The First–Year Covid Reboot is only available for students in colleges offering this option (students may choose to transition to another college if a major change is desired).
- Student applications will be submitted to their home college for approval (however, outreach will only happen for students whose home college has opted into this program).
- Applications will be distributed to students who are eligible. If a student believes they are eligible and did not receive an application, they may complete the 2021 First–Year Covid Reboot Program Application.
The 2021 First–Year Covid Reboot will be reviewed and may be conditionally approved upon readmission to the University but must be submitted by the posted deadline. A request for the First–Year Covid Reboot applies only to courses taken at the University of Cincinnati prior to reenrollment.
- Conditional approval requires that students meet a minimum academic requirement of a 2.0 or higher term GPA in addition to any additional requirements as determined by the college (requirements vary by college).
- If the requirements are met as of the end of the conditional term, the First–Year Covid Reboot will receive final approval and be applied to the student’s academic record.
- Upon final approval of the First–Year Covid Reboot, the student’s University grade point average will be initiated from the date of reentry.
- Any courses and grades taken before reentry will remain on the student’s record but will not count towards their GPA calculation.
- The First–Year Covid Reboot (or Academic Fresh Start) option may be used only once during a student’s academic career.
Enrollment in Fall 2021 at No Cost
In order to provide students a special opportunity to reenter UC with a lower risk and lighter course load, UC is offering a special enrollment opportunity for the Second Half Session of Fall Semester 2021.
In total, students will be registered for six credit hours. In addition to the courses, academic coaching, tutoring, and other academic support services will be available through the Learning Commons.
Students will select the courses via the online First–Year Covid Reboot application when applying. These courses would qualify as their reenrollment to UC and, if they meet college’s requirements, will initiate the academic fresh start process.
The university is providing a scholarship for the First–Year Covid Reboot program for the Second Half Session of Fall Semester 2021. Each student participating will receive a scholarship to cover in–state tuition (approximately $3,000 for Uptown and $1,500 for Blue Ash). Students may also be eligible for additional financial aid. Assistance may also be available for students who have an outstanding balance.
Spring 2022 and Forward
First–Year Covid Reboot will be available in future semesters, but no scholarships will be available.
Note: Approval of First–Year Covid Reboot will be recorded on the transcript. Students should be aware that the previous academic record will appear on the transcript and that graduate and professional schools, as well as potential employers, may average all academic records together.
First–Year Covid Reboot Terms
- Initial enrollment at UC as an incoming first–year student Summer 2020, Fall 2020, or Spring 2021
- GPA: The student’s cumulative University GPA was less than 2.00
- Completed application to participate Fall 2021: October 4, 2021
Procedure for Academic Reboot Approval
- Completed applications for 2021 First–Year Covid Reboot must be submitted to the Registrar by the posted deadline (October 4, 2021, for Fall 2021).
- Applications will be sent to the student’s college for review and will be considered in accordance with procedures and any additional guidelines of that unit.
- Degree–granting units may not grant a First–Year Covid Reboot to any student who fails to satisfy the minimum qualifying criteria.
- If a request for First–Year Covid Reboot is denied by the student’s college, the student may file an appeal with the college and a decision will be considered based on holistic data. A student may also choose to apply for a program change to have their application considered by another college.
Any questions should be directed to email@example.com.