Legal Name Change Request

The Office of the Registrar requests notification when a student has an official name change. Below are the steps necessary to make this change. Students may alternatively update their Preferred Name, though this will not change their official name used by the University of Cincinnati.

Step 1

Download and complete the fillable Legal Name Change Request PDF below.

For full form functionality—including electronic signature functionality—please download the form to your computer and open in either Adobe Pro or Reader. (If you need assistance with filling out a PDF form, check out our Adobe Acrobat Reader Applications and Filling and Signing Electronic Forms links.)

This form can be digitally signed if opened in either Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Reader. If it is opened in the browser, it can still be filled out, but you will need to print it in order to sign it. Your printed form will then need to be scanned in order for you to send it to us electronically.

Step 2

Verify from the list below what supporting/authenticating documents can be used as evidence to support your Legal Name Change Request Form. If multiple options are listed, only one is required.

Note: At least one supporting/authenticating document must be submitted with your Legal Name Change Request Form.

  • Misspelling
    • Copy of Driver's License
  • Marriage
    • Copy of Driver's License
    • Copy of Social Security Card
    • Copy of Marriage Certificate
  • Divorce
    • Copy of Legal Divorce Decree (the first page and the page authorizing the name change are sufficient)
  • Legal Name Change
    • Copy of Court Order of Legal Name Change
  • Naturalization
    • Copy of Naturalization Document
    • Copy of Passport
  • Religious Reasons
    • Copy of Court Order of Legal Name Change

Step 3

Submit your paperwork to the Office of the Registrar via the form below.

Step 4

Once your name has been changed by the Office of the Registrar, you may obtain a new student ID (Bearcat Card) at the Keys & Badges Desk in 4 Edwards Center. Call 513-556-4925 or email for additional information.

Step 5

If you would like to request a change to your username associated with the Central Login Service, contact the IT@UC Service Desk online or by calling 513-556-HELP/ 513-556-4357. Changing your username is not required.