Student Bill Line Item Descriptions

Instructional Fee: This required fee covers costs associated with instruction and classroom time including classroom supplies and materials.

General Fee: This required fee provides funding for non-instructional services and is assessed uniformly to all enrolled students. These services are directly related to students' academic progression through the university. The fee also enhances many programs available to and used by all students including many web-delivered services. The distribution of these fees is determined by the Student Advisory Committee on the University Budget (SACUB).

Campus Life Fee: This required fee covers various recreational and entertainment facilities and programming that can be utilized by all students to enhance the campus environment and increase student engagement. This fee was voted on and approved by the student body.

Info Tech & Inst Equip Fee: This required fee applies to all undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in all programs. The Information Technology and Instructional Equipment fee is used to fund improved access to and assistance with information technology and to fund other types of instructional equipment.

Non-Resident Surcharge: This required fee applies to all students who do not qualify for Ohio residency. It is used to fund those instructional costs the state pays for on behalf of qualifying Ohio residents. This fee may also be described as “Distance Learning Non-Resident Surcharge”, “Non-Resident Metropolitan Surcharge”, “Instructional Fee (Non-Resident Surcharge)”, or the like.

New Student Fee: This required fee applies to certain first time students. Questions regarding this fee should be directed to New Student Orientation at (513) 556-2486 or

Program Fees: This required fee is college specific.  Contact your college office for more information on the purpose and use of these charges:

     College of Allied Health Sciences: Dr. Chalee Engelhard (513) 558-7481
     College of Arts & Sciences: Dr. Lisa Holstrom (513) 556-9172
     UC Blue Ash: Martha Geiger (513) 745-5740
     College of Business: Jenn Wiswell
(513) 556-7039
     UC Clermont: Mae Hanna
(513) 732-5332
     College-Conservatory of Music:  Christa Moore (513) 556-9831
     College of DAAP: Amberly Maryo (513) 556-1514
     College of Engineering & Applied Science:    Allen Arthur (513) 556-4870
     College of Medicine:  John Stiles  
(513) 558-5991
     College of Nursing:
Krista Maddox
(513) 558-5229

Distance Learning Fee:
This required fee is used to support the infrastructure (state authorization process, information technology, etc.) needed to support the Distance Learning Mission.

Differential Tuition: Effective Fall 2016, this required fee applies to any full-time student who registers for 7 units/hours, or more, outside of their primary campus, academic program level and/or career. This fee is the difference between the full-time instructional fee charged at the primary program level, or campus, and the full-time instructional fee for the campus or highest program level. This includes the Non-Resident Surcharge portion of Instructional Fees. Some examples:

  1. A Branch Campus student taking 7 undergraduate units/credit hours, or more, offered by a Main Campus (Clifton/Uptown) college will be charged a differential fee regardless of class location.
  2. A Main Campus undergraduate student taking 7 graduate units/hours, or more, will be charged a differential fee equal to the difference between the undergraduate and graduate full-time instructional fee.
  3. A Main Campus undergraduate student taking 7 graduate and Law units/hours, or more, will be charged a differential fee equal to the difference between the full-time undergraduate and law instructional fee.

Please note that this replaces the previous method of 50%, or more, of classes taken out of the primary program campus.

Student Health Insurance: This required fee applies to all students.  In general, students enrolled for 6 or more credit hours/units or on experiential learning (i.e., Coop) are required to have health insurance. Experiential Learning includes Coop, Full-Time Lindner Professional Experience and most internships. The following courses are examples:

  • COOP2001, COOP2002, COOP2011, COOP2012, COOP2021, COOP2022, COOP2041, COOP2042
  • COOP3001, COOP3011, COOP3021, COOP3041, COOP3091
  • COOP4001, COOP4002, COOP4011, COOP4012, COOP4021, COOP4022, COOP4041, COOP4042, COOP4091, COOP4092
  • COOP7001
  • COOP8001, COOP8002, COOP8021, COOP8022, COOP8023
  • INT3061, INT3062, INT3063, INT3064, INT3065
  • INT3071, INT3072, INT3073, INT3074, INT3075
  • LPE3000
  • MD2099

When in doubt look at your student bill. If you have the charge you are required to have health insurance. Students covered under another qualifying policy may waive coverage by the deadline and the charge will be removed.  For more information visit UC Student Health Insurance. 

Bloodborne Pathogen Insurance: This fee is required for all students in programs of study that may result in exposure to blood or blood products.  For more information visit UC Student Health Insurance

International Student Fee: This fee applies to any enrolled student who does not hold U.S. citizenship, permanent resident, Asylee or Refugee status. Students with a primary program identified as distance learning are exempt from this fee. This fee is not assessed during the Summer semester. Contact the UC International Office for more details regarding this fee and what it supports.

Anticipated Aid: Also known as "Estimated Aid", serves only as an acknowledgement to the student of expected funds that have not yet been received.  Estimated aid is only displayed until 5 days before the start of the term.

PLEASE NOTE:  Anticipated aid is NOT considered an actual payment/credit, and once removed, may result in a balance due on the students bill.