Transitions is a first-year experience program that utilizes a Rites of Passage curriculum to bring a higher retention and graduation rate for Black students at the University of Cincinnati. The program is designed to enhance the first year experience for incoming students of color by providing leadership training, workshops, peer mentoring, and other social and academic activities to ensure that all participants are successful. Accepted students will have the opportunity to move in early to enable them to attend the required early arrival program. For more information, visit uc.edu/aacrc/transitions. Confirmed students should apply via CampusLink: https://campuslink.uc.edu/submitter/form/start/392206.
- Retain & Matriculate Black Students
- Receive Guidance through Mentorship
- Nurture & Develop Cultural Foundations
- Cultivate Leadership Skills
- Provide Community Service Opportunities
- Develop an Affinity for UC
- Create a Culture of Belonging
Transitions Application Deadline for Students interested in the Dr. P Eric Abercrumbie Living-Learning Community
5/2/2020 11:59 pm
* Students interested in the ALLC must apply for Transitions and the ALLC on the Housing Application by May 2nd.
Final Transitions Application Deadline
6/05/2020 11:59 pm
Early Arrival Program
8/17/2020 - 8/19/2020
Transitions Meeting Times
Each Wednesday at 4:45 PM during the Fall and Spring Semesters.
Dr. P Eric Abercrumbie Living-Learning Community
This is the second year that students can live in the Dr. P Eric Abercrumbie Living-Learning Community (ALLC). Supported by the Office of Ethnic Programs and Services (EPS) and the African American Cultural & Resource Center (AACRC), the ALLC is a residence-based learning community in Siddall Hall for students who have been accepted into the Darwin T. Turner Scholars Program and/or the Transitions Program. Participants will live in an environment that fosters personal and social identity development, leadership engagement, and academic success. Spots in the ALLC are limited and can be selected on the Housing Application.
Through this community, we honor the history and legacy of those who came before us, while providing students the opportunity to create their path towards leaving their mark at the University of Cincinnati and larger community. Students participate in a variety of service-learning projects and meet every week. Members of this community engage in dialogue and reflection that facilitate a sense of pride in one’s racial and ethnic identity, as well as their other intersecting identities.
The ALLC application should be completed through the Housing Application. All Applications for housing are due on May 2nd. If you are not a member of the Turner Scholars Program and want to participate in the ALLC, make sure you have applied to Transitions and the ALLC by the Housing Deadline.
- Be a first-year student accepted into the Darwin T. Turner Scholars Program and/or Transitions Program.
- Live in Siddall Hall on the designated floor(s) with other members of the community.
- Roommates must also be accepted into the ALLC.
- Meet the expectations and requirements of the Darwin T. Turner Scholars and/or Transitions Program.
- Attend Monthly ALLC meetings and meet other expectations as assigned.