Updated November 24, 2020
In accordance with State of Ohio guidelines, UC has determined that face-to-face experiential learning including co-op, internships, service learning, undergraduate student research and UC Forward experiences may take place under the conditions outlined below. (Please note that international experiential learning continues to be prohibited for the duration of spring semester 2021.)
- Should the State of Ohio guidelines change, we will adjust our policy accordingly and will notify students immediately. These changes include the possibility of restricting face-to-face experiential learning.
- Face-to-face experiential learning remains optional. Students are not obligated to participate in face-to-face experiential learning even though it is permitted. For students in mandatory co-op programs, the COVID-19 EEP options are acceptable alternatives and will count toward the co-op requirement.
- Students who choose to participate in face-to-face experiential learning should understand that there is still a risk of contracting COVID-19, and therefore it is important to follow all safety guidelines that have been established by the State of Ohio. Students engaged in experiential learning outside Ohio must also comply with the public health guidelines of the state in which the experience is taking place.
- While engaged in experiential learning, students are also expected to follow the safety guidelines of the employer, community organization, researcher or university. For students working or living on UC's campus, this includes the daily health checks required through the COVID Check App.
- If you are engaged in experiential learning and feel that others are not practicing Stay Safe behaviors or that you are at risk, please share your concerns with your immediate work supervisor, a human resources representative at your employing organization, and/or your co-op advisor/experiential learning course instructor.
- All students engaged in experiential learning are bound by the UC Student Code of Conduct. Any student who fails to abide by UC’s COVID-19 guidelines and state-issued mandates may be subject to charges under the Student Code of Conduct.
Thank you for your patience as we continue to navigate the uncertainty surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic. Our greatest priority is the health and safety of our students, and we will continue to closely monitor this situation.
If you have additional questions, please feel free to visit our Student FAQ page.