Experience-Based Learning in Summer 2020
Updated May 14, 2020
In accordance with the latest State of Ohio guidelines, UC has determined that face-to-face co-op, internships, and service learning may resume on Monday, May 25. Additionally, undergraduate students employed by UC faculty or other researchers may resume face-to-face work on June 1 at the discretion of the Principal Investigator (PI). All face-to-face experiential learning including co-op, internship, service learning and undergraduate student research may resume under the following conditions:
- Should the State of Ohio guidelines change (including prior to May 25, 2020), we will adjust our policy accordingly and will notify you immediately. These changes may include the possibility of reinstituting the restriction on face-to-face experiential learning if there is a resurgence of COVID-19.
- Face-to-face experiential learning during summer semester remains optional. Students are not obligated to participate in face-to-face experiential learning even though it is now permitted. For students in mandatory co-op programs, the COVID-19 EEP options are acceptable alternatives and will count toward the co-op requirement.
- Given the fluidity of this situation, we recommend that students not relocate for face-to-face experiential learning as our policy is subject to change based on evolving state guidelines.
- Students who choose to participate in face-to-face experiential learning should understand that there is still a risk of contracting COVID-19, and therefore it is important to adhere to all safety guidelines that have been established by the local or state public health agency and employers/researchers/community organizations, including social distancing measures, wearing a face covering in the workplace, and washing your hands and work surfaces frequently.
- For students in mandatory co-op programs: If you have accepted a face-to-face co-op position for summer semester and had previously planned to apply for a waiver, please accept your position in PAL or confirm your placement with your co-op advisor to ensure proper registration.
Thank you for your patience as we continue to navigate the uncertainty surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic. Our greatest priority is the health and safety of our students, and we will continue to closely monitor this situation. If you have additional questions, please feel free to visit our Student FAQ page or reach out to your co-op advisor.