Healthcare Workforce Diversity Symposium
Many thanks to all who attended the first-ever virtual Healthcare Workforce Diversity Symposium, especially our generous speakers!
UC under-represented students interested in healthcare careers and anyone who supports efforts to increase diversity in the healthcare workforce were able to access resources and networking opportunities during the online event on November 4, 2020.
In live and pre-recorded “Lightning Talks," diverse healthcare professionals and other experts spoke about their career paths as well as challenges and opportunities related to diversifying the healthcare workforce. They also provided advice for undergraduate pre-health students.
We invite you to watch all the talks any time.
Live Lightning Talks
Recordings of these talks are now available to view:
- Dr. Angelica Hardee, Public Health, Vice President, Health Strategies, American Heart Association
- Sydney Meimann, Program Director, UC One Stop, Financial Wellness
- Patrick Cafferty, MPAS, PA-C, DFAAPA, Founding Chair and Program Director, Department of Physician Assistant Studies, Mount St. Joseph University
- Jami Gibson, Palliative Care Nurse Practitioner, RN, MSN, CNP at Care Bridge Pallative Care
- Bryan Barney, Physical Therapist
- Lauren White, Program Coordinator, UC Center for Community Engagement, "Community Service Connections"
- Prashanth Prabhakar, Peer Career Coach, “What Should a Pre-Health Student's Resume Look Like?”
Pre-Recorded Lightning Talks
In addition, the following pre-recorded talks are now available to view:
- Dr. Chineze Ebo, Pediatrics Categorical Resident PGY-2, Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center
- Austin Thompson, UC graduate and second-year student, UC College of Medicine
- Lauren Prather, Speech Language Pathologist CCC-SLP, UC Communication Sciences and Disorders PhD student
- Dr. Ryan Marable, Pharmacist PharmD, President-Elect National Pharmaceutical Association
- Dr. Joseph Coney, Ophthalmologist, Retina Associates of Cleveland, Inc.
- Dr. Mia Mallory, Pediatrician, Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center and Associate Dean for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, UC College of Medicine
- Nuthara Jayasinghe, President of the UC Undergraduate Research Society
- Dr. Vondolee Delgado-Nixon (VDN), Chief Diversity Officer and Associate Professor of Practice, Ohio State College of Optometry
- Dr. Alex Blood, UC graduate and Osteopathic Physician
- Dr. Alton Johnson, Podiatrist
- Veronica Joiner, UC Pre-Professional Advisor, "Writing a Strong Personal Statement"
- "Unity to Achieve Diversity in Healthcare" with Jennifer Ellis, UC Blue Ash Nursing; Rebecca Lee, UC Nursing; and Deanna Hawkins, Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center
- Dr. Faith Hayden, Dentist and Owner, Montgomery Family Dentistry
- Kelli R. Hobart, Occupational Therapist, Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center
- Ryan Siebert, Peer Career Coach, “Demystifying Networking“
- Mya Jones, Peer Career Coach, “How Do I Find Jobs On-Campus and Manage My Financial Wellness?”
- Dr. Francoise Knox Kazimierczuk PhD, Licensed Dietician and Certified Athletic Trainer, Assistant Professor, UC College of Allied Health Sciences
- Jasmin Martinez, Audiologist
UC's Pre-Professional Advising Center exists to advise students who are thinking about entering the health professions. Visit them online at the Pre-Professional Advising Center website.
Watch this lightning talk on "Imposter Syndrome" from UC Health experts Dr. Maria Espinola and Dr. Latrice Montgomery. Shared with permission.
Search for available summer opportunities by program, location and opportunity type, compiled by the National Association of Advisors for the Health Professions (NAAHP).
Explore options for paying for professional school, compiled by the National Association of Advisors for the Health Professions (NAAHP).
Why this symposium?
Increasing diversity in the healthcare workforce is important. A wide network of people and programs across the country and across UC exists to help under-represented students enter the healthcare workforce, but students often don't know about them.
We created the Healthcare Workforce Diversity Symposium to break down silos and help students access resources and network with professionals in the field. Moreover, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we're hosting the event virtually and opening it up so that everyone can participate safely.
The Next Lives Here: Healthcare Workforce Diversity Symposium is funded through a grant made possible by UC's Next Lives Here strategic Urban Health initiative.