Bearcat Buddies is a family of programs offered through the Center for Community Engagement (CCE), in partnership with GRAD Cincinnati, the Literacy Network of Greater Cincinnati and Cincinnati Public Schools.
If you're interested in serving as a volunteer tutor and helping Cincinnati Public Schools' students achieve academic success, consider becoming a Bearcat Buddy. It's a powerful way to give back and provides a meaningful experience for both you and the students you serve. Bearcat Buddies is a great addition to any resume and includes the potential for leadership positions. Above all, it's a fun way to make a positive impact on your community!
Bearcat Buddies work with students in Kindergarten through 12th grades, for about an hour a week during the school day (not including time for transportation). Tutoring sessions range from 8:00am - 5:00pm, Monday to Friday. You can find Bearcat Buddies in eight Cincinnati Public Schools:
- Ethel M. Taylor Academy
- Hays-Porter School
- Hughes STEM High School (CATS at Hughes)
- Rees E. Price Academy
- Riverview East Academy (Hawk's Strong)
- Roll Hill Academy
- Taft Information Technology High School (Senator Strong)
- Western Hills University High School (Mustang Strong)
The CCE supports Bearcat Buddies by:
- Providing transportation to partner schools where tutoring takes place.
- Arranging on-campus and on-site tutor training.
- Facilitating the required background check.
- Providing ongoing support throughout the year.
- Registration Information for Prospective Tutors
- Applications are taken each semester. Preference is given to tutors who have volunteered with Bearcat Buddies in previous terms. Click the button at the top of the page to register, or pre-register, for Bearcat Buddies.
Contact BearcatBuddies@uc.edu, or call the Center for Community Engagement at 513-556-1559 for additional information.