Emergency Funds

The University of Cincinnati has several emergency funds available to support you when unexpected expenses arise in emergency situations. Once you apply, you will be notified of approval. Disbursed funds do not have to be repaid. Please review both funds to determine which best meets your need. Do not hesitate to reach out to us if we can help answer your questions. 

You must go here to apply for the CRSSA: Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund (HEERF) II

Bearcat Emergency Fund

The Bearcat Emergency Fund (BEF) is not the Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund (HEERF) II.  You must go here to apply for CRSSA: Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund (HEEF) II

The Bearcat Emergency Fund (BEF) is designed to provide assistance with unexpected emergency expenses surrounding situations such as accidents, illness, death of a family member, fire damage, medical deductible, or need for temporary housing or food. Students may apply for funds when they have exhausted all other resources. This funding is not intended to replace or supplement existing financial aid. All BEF applications are typically limited to $500.00. Special circumstances may be approved for funds exceeding $500.00. 

UC Student Emergency Fund

The UC Student Emergency Fund provides limited emergency financial assistance to currently-enrolled students who are experiencing an unanticipated and/or temporary hardship resulting from an emergency and/or crisis situation. Funds shall be distributed as grants that do not need to be repaid.

To qualify to receive aid from the Fund, a student must meet all of the following criteria: Be enrolled as a full-time student; Have a demonstrated emergency financial need; Student(s) must be in good academic standing, as determined by the University; Applicants may only apply and receive funding once per academic year and may not receive an emergency grant more than twice.

Qualifying expenses from the Fund may include: Assistance with rent, alternate housing accommodations, utilities, food, and/or other essential household expenses; Travel Costs; Medication(s)/costs related to medical care; Assistance with replacement of essential personal belongings due to fire, theft, and/or natural disaster; Books, computers and other essential academic expenses. 


Are you not sure which fund is best for your needs?
Are you not sure if you qualify?

Questions can be directed to:

Daniel S. Cummins, Asst. Dean of Students
Division of Student Affairs