Faculty: Get Involved
Faculty applications for Summer 2021 are now closed.
Will you be conducting research during Summer 2021? If so, please consider being a part of the UHP Discover summer research program!
UC faculty are encouraged to submit proposals to serve as research mentors for UHP Discover!
This is a full-time (30–40 hours per week for 10 weeks) summer research experience for undergraduate students in the UHP. Research projects are to be from the humanities, social sciences, business, education, music, arts, and other non-STEMM disciplines only. Research projects in STEMM disciplines are not eligible.
Up to 20 faculty research projects will be selected and supported for the Summer 2021 session.
- Faculty must submit their research project proposal to the UHP by Friday, January 29.
- Research projects must be full-time (30-40 hours per week, for 10 weeks, in Summer 2021).
- The faculty member must be available to mentor and supervise their student researcher during their entire employment period. We recommend, at minimum, scheduled bi-weekly meetings with your student researcher.
- Research project proposals will be reviewed by a committee of UHP faculty and staff. Up to 20 projects will be selected.
- Faculty will be informed of their proposal's status by the end of business on Monday, February 8.
- Selected projects will be posted online by February 11 for UHP students to view.
- Beginning February 12, UHP students may apply to their desired project(s). Their deadline to apply will be Sunday, February 21.
- As applications are received, faculty are encouraged to reach out to students to schedule a one-on-one or group interview.
- Matches may begin on February 22 (meaning, faculty can offer to their selected applicant beginning on this date). Students are given 24 hours to accept/decline. If the first student you offer to does not accept, you may offer to the next student (and continue this until you and a student match).
- The faculty member will then indicate their student selection/match to the UHP by Friday, March 12.
- The faculty member's department will be required to hire the student as a student employee, so that the student can be paid to conduct the research.
- The UHP will provide the funding, up to $4000 at a rate of $10/hr for the 10 week research period. We will coordinate directly with your unit's business office.
- The faculty member's department must hire the selected student as an hourly student employee. The faculty member and their department must oversee all aspects of the student's employment, including hiring, clocking in and out/timekeeping, PCR processes, and managing all other HR processes related to hiring and employment.
- The UHP will transfer the funding to the department to pay the student, up to $4000. The faculty member will indicate how many hours per week the student will work for the ten weeks. This amount of funding will be transferred to the faculty member's department, up to $4000. If students will work less than 40 hours per week for the ten weeks, a pro-rated amount will be transferred. If the student works fewer hours than indicated, the remaining funds are to be transferred back to the UHP at the end of the summer.
- Students are not permitted to work more than 40 hours per week.
- Students will work with their faculty member to determine their Summer 2021 schedule.
- UHP students are required to attend professional development sessions on most Friday mornings. Faculty must allow the students to attend these sessions on these Fridays.
- UHP students are required to present their research at the conclusion of the summer to fellow members of the program, mentors, and UHP staff.
The UHP will provide $1000 to the faculty mentor's department for use by the faculty member. The $1000 will be transferred to the faculty member’s department by May 2021, to then be available for the faculty member’s use. This funding is transferred from operating funds. A salary or stipend is not paid directly to the faculty member by the UHP. If the department chooses to use the $1000 to pay a stipend, it must be used for both salary and benefits. Therefore, the faculty member will not be paid $1000 by the department but rather a smaller amount to also account for required benefits. $1000 will be transferred for each UHP Discover project that a faculty member oversees, if a match is made.
The UHP will also transfer up to $4000 (including benefits) to the faculty member's department to cover the student researchers hourly pay ($10 per hour, 30–40 hours per week for 10 weeks, up to 400 hours for the summer). The faculty member's department must hire the student as an hourly student employee and oversee all aspects of the student's employment.
The faculty member will indicate to the UHP how many hours per week the student will work for the ten weeks. This amount of funding will be transferred to the faculty member's department, up to $4000. If students will work less than 40 hours per week for the ten weeks, a pro-rated amount will be transferred.
If the student works fewer hours than planned, the remaining funds are to be transferred back to the UHP at the end of the summer.