Freshmen & New Student Application Process
Welcome, new Bearcat! University Housing is looking forward to meeting all you and your classmates. Living in University Housing is a fun and rewarding experience, and it all starts with your application via the housing portal. Review the phases and their timelines below. How-to videos will accompany each phase as we approach their opening date.
Due to COVID-19, dates listed here are subject to change. Please watch your UC email for updates or check back here.
Phase 1 - Complete Application
Beginning March 1, if you have accepted Admission* to the university, you will be able to access the housing application. First-year students residing outside 50-mile radius of main campus are required to live in university housing.
During this phase you will:
- Verify/submit general information
- Select your meal plan; the All-Access meal plan is required for first-year residential students
- First-year residential students are identified in Catalyst by their Tuition Guarantee Cohort, and not based on the number of college credit hours earned.
- Apply for a Living-Learning Community (LLC), if desired.
- You may apply when completing the housing application. Honors or other LLC sponsors will notifiy you later if you are accepted into the housing community.
- Complete roommate profile, and/or roommate group, if desired.
- You do not need to create your roommate profile or have your roommate group assembled before finalizing this phase of the application.
- You may re-enter the portal at any time before room selection to complete this step.
- Learn more about roommates and tips for selecting them.
- Submit non-refundable $75 application fee. Applications are not considered complete until the fee is paid.
*There is a 72-hr. window post Admission acceptance for the application to become available.
May 5 is the priority deadline for submitting a housing application. Those who submit after this date will still get housing, but will not have the option to select their own room. Room assignment will be made by housing operations.
Read more about the application process, and watch a video with University Housing Executive Director, Carl Dieso.
How to apply for University Housing - Phase 1
Want to skip to a specific topic in Phase 1?
- Personal details 2:18
- Accessibility accommodation process 3:18
- Review information regarding the university immunization policy 4:02
- Accept the Housing Terms and Conditions 4:20
- Application fee 5:12
- Living-Learning Community (LLC) interest form 6:11
- All-Access meal plan 7:35
- Roommate profile, search for roommates & create roommate groups – discussed in separate video below
- Signing Housing Agreement for students under 18 – discussed in separate video below
How to Complete Your Roommate Profile and Join a Roommate Group
How to Sign the Housing Agreement for Students Under 18 – Proxy Signature
Phase 2 - Room Selection
Pick your room! Your room selection timeslot notice will be sent to your university-issued email address late-May/early-June. Important information for room selection:
- You must have a paid housing application and Bearcats Bound Orientation (BBO) registration to be eligible for a room selection timeslot
- Room selection period throughout June/July
- Timeslots are determined by the week in which your application fee is paid
- Those who have created a roommate group are encouraged to select the member with the earliest timeslot to be the group leader to increase chances of getting desired room type
- During the selection period, a room to accommodate your roommate group may not necessarily be available in your preferred community or floor. Before selection, your group should have a conversation about alternatives, such as same hall/same floor, same hall, how to split the group, etc.
- Housing applications received after the priority deadline, May 5, are not eligible for self-selection. These housing assignments will be manually processed by the University Housing office roughly mid-July.
A process video will be available on the this page in late spring.
Phase 3 - Move-in Appointment
- You must reserve a move-in appointment late-July/early-August
- You will be notified by your UC-issued email when the appointment scheduler opens
- Our Family Move-in Guide with complete details will be mailed to your permanent address on file in early August
A process video will be available on this page mid-summer.
- Our phone system allows for a callback request if you do not want to wait.
- We appreciate your patience while we work diligently to respond to inquiries during this busy time. If you have left a callback request on our phone system, be assured you will remain in the queue until we have contacted you.
- If you send an email during a high volume time, you can expect a response within 48 hours