Identifying Possible Rental Scams
Rental scammers frequently target student renters by using the following methods:
- Advertising a rate that is too good to be true
- Requesting money through social media or asking you to pay with giftcards
- Asking for personal information (e.g. social security number) without verifying who they are
- Expecting rent payments before a lease is signed
Visit the Public Safety has compiled a list of ways to identify signs of a rental scam and ways to avoid them.
What to Do If You Are a Rental Scam Victim
Complete the following steps if you are a victim of a rental scam:
- Call the police. If you are not sure what district agency to contact, call UCPD (University of Cincinnati Police Department) at 513-556-1111. The officers can assist you by:
- Taking a report or contacing the police agency who should take it,
- Giving you contact information for UCPD’s Victim Services Coordinator,
- Referring you to additional UC resources.
- Contact the listing website to request that they remove the listing.
You can find more information on housing scams at the following websites: