A tree with fall leaves with Morgens & Scioto Halls

Prepare for Move-out

Safety Procedures

The following safety precautions apply to all residents:  

  • Residents and guests/helpers should perform a self-assessment of COVID-19 symptoms prior to arrival to campus.
  • Guests/helpers will be limited to 1 - 2 per resident, and may only stay inside the residence hall during the move-out process.
  • There will be a limit of one family per elevator.
  • Facial coverings will be required at all times.
  • Curbside parking is limited to 15 minutes.

You are encouraged to use a personal cart to speed up your move.

Spring 2021 Hall Closing & End-of-Year Procedures

Halls close Wednesday, April 28, 2021, at noon. All students must check out of the hall by that time. You are expected to properly check out and leave the building within 24 hours of your last final exam (unless specific university obligations require additional time, and you should share that information with your Community Coordinator for approval). 

  • Students who are participating in or attending commencement activitities may submit a Graduation Late Stay Request Form to recieve an extension to their Spring housing assignment. You will retain access to your current room through commencement and must be moved out by Noon on Saturday, May 1st. Any extensions beyond this date must be communicated in writing with University Housing or your Community Coordinator.
  • Students approved for summer housing will transition to summer housing assignment May 4-6. All moves must be complete by 5 p.m., May 6.
  • Some students prefer to check out after classes end then commute during finals week. You may begin your checkout process at your front desk at any time. We will have carts available during the last week of classes if you want to move out early. 
  • Most RAs will hold a closing meeting; if you are unable to attend that meeting, please connect directly with your staff member, as you are responsible for meeting all closing procedures. 
  • Neither the university nor the residence halls assume responsibility for traffic/parking tickets incurred during closing.

Donate Unwanted Items!

The Re*Use Market is a way to donate belongings during moveout.

Click to Enlarge

Monday, April 26 - Thursday, April 29
9 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Friday, April 30 - 9 a.m. - 4p.m.

270 Calhoun St.
Goodwill is working with the UC Office of Sustainability, UC Housing, and Resident Education and Development on this important environmental initiative. Donate belongings you don't want to take and help divert landfill waste.


Once you have moved all your belongings out, you are ready to check out. Be sure to keep your vehicle attended and/or locked. Check out at the front desk of your residence hall.  At that time, you will receive a checkout envelope to complete and place your keys into. Seal, and turn in at the desk. If the Service Center is closed, please deposit key envelope in Outgoing Mail slot.

  •  You may move out at any time of day (even non-business hours). Please note that front desk staff will be available between 10 a.m. and 8 p.m. should you need to speak with someone directly. 
  • Carts to move belongings will be available at each hall, but if you have a rolling cart, and can bring it with you, it may speed up your move.
  • Bring storage containers or boxes, if you can, to minimize trips in and out of the building.
  • Please care for yourself and your fellow Bearcats by not overcrowding elevators. We ask that you limit to one family at a time while using the elevator. 

You must remove all belongings, food and trash, and leave room in good condition. Follow these steps to avoid addtional fees being placed on your account.

  1. Empty, clean, and unplug/defrost the microfridge, empty all closets, drawers, high storage spaces and desk drawers.
  2. Sweep the floor and remove all trash.
  3. Remove any nails, command strips, sticky tack, tape, etc. from the walls.
  4. Report any broken furniture or burned-out light bulbs to the RA or Desk Assistant upon checkout.

Due to COVID restrictions this year, the hall staff will be doing damage checks after the halls have closed. The Room Condition Report (RCR) will be filled out during those checks by hall staff.

Please do not have any packages shipped to the residence halls after April 21, 2021. Packages will not be fowarded and may be subject to being returned to sender. 

Once you have checked out, you will lose card access to the hall. You will not be able to re-enter the hall after this time. Be sure to take everything with you.

  • You are required to remove all personal belongings. You will not be able to check out until you have done so. The university does not assume responsibility for abandoned property.
  • Hall closing and re-opening are especially high-risk times for property theft. Do not leave property unattended or leave property visible in your unattended vehicle, even if it is locked. 

Continuous (24-hour) quiet hours begin at 11:59 p.m. on Tuesday, April 20, and continue until the hall closes on April 28, 2021. Please respect others’ needs to sleep and study. Failure to observe quiet hours may result in conduct referral or being required to check out early. 

For information about dining options before and during Summer Semester, please visit Food Services.

The move-in/move-out map shows parking (green structures) in relation to residence communities, as well as unloading areas. More detailed Google maps and coordinates can be found on the Parking website.


Father moving male student's belongings with a personal cart

Whether you're moving in or out, bringing a personal cart will help limit exposure risk of using loaner carts. Loaner carts will be disinfected after each use.

Recycle Your Cardboard

There are recycling bins located near each campus residence hall. Please use these bins to dispose of any cardboard boxes and other recyclable materials from move-in.

Maps of Bin Locations

Maps are available for each on-campus residence hall. If you live in University Edge, USquare, UPA, 101 E. Corry, or the Deacon, check with property management for recycling options, or use the campus bin closest to your apartment.

Move-in FAQ

Yes, residence hall service centers will begin accepting packages for spring residents beginning Jan. 7. Packages arriving before Jan. 7 will be returned to sender. Note, due to the sheer volume of packages during this time you may experience delivery delays.  

The exception for direct shipments will be packages coming from our online marketplace, as our partner delivers these in bulk.

Amazon orders may not be shipped to your residence hall at any time. Instead, choose ship to the Amazon Store on Calhoun St. in USquare at the Loop.

  • 241 Calhoun St., Cincinnati, OH  45219
  • Phone: 888-280-4331
  • Thermometer
  • Hand sanitizer
  • Facial coverings
  • Cleaning supplies
  • Renter's insurance (highly recommended)
  • Desk lamp
  • Computer
  • TV/Video game console (Philo streaming service is free to residents in university-owned communities)
  • Bedding - comforter, pillow, extra-long twin sheets (80")
  • Bath linens
  • Fan
  • Small storage container or trunk
  • Headphones/ear buds
  • Hypoallergenic, zippered mattress cover (extra-long twin)
  • Shower bucket & shoes (Dabney, Daniels, Calhoun, Siddall)
  • Hanging soap dish/shower caddy (Turner/Schneider)
  • Fish (20 gal. aquarium or less)
  • Carpet or rug
  • Toiletries
  • Posters & pictures
  • Hair dryer
  • Umbrella
  • Iron/steamer

The list below is not all-inclusive. If you are unsure of whether an item is permissible, please call University Housing at 513-556-6461.

  • Air fryers
  • Halogen lamps
  • Hoverboards or electric scooters
  • Power tools
  • Pets*
  • Air conditioner
  • Space heater
  • Broiler
  • Lofts
  • Candles
  • Explosives/fireworks
  • Hot plates or electric skillet
  • Hot-oil popcorn poppers
  • Waterbeds or water chairs
  • Toaster ovens
  • Woks
  • Grills or griddles (including George Foreman(R))
  • Weapons (real or toy, including water guns)
  • Weights over 10 pounds
  • Wall mounts for televisions
  • Alcohol (except residents of Schneider and Campus Rec Hall who are 21 years old and older)

*Exception will be made for Service and Emotional Support Animals (ESA). In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendment Act of 2008 (ADAAA) and the Fair Housing Act (FHA), the University of Cincinnati engages in an interactive and collaborative process with students in order to determine eligibility for reasonable accommodations for students living in the residence halls and campus community. University offices which work in collaboration to assist the student are Disability Services Office, Housing and Food Services as well as Resident Education & Development.