New student and parent meeting with resident advisor. The three people are sitting in chairs next to a window.

First-year Students

All unmarried first-year students, or transfer students not transferring 30 credit hours or more, who are not residing with their parents inside a 50-mile radius of the main campus, are required to live in the residence halls during their first academic year. Students enrolled in College Credit Plus or other similar dual-enrollment programs are not eligible for university housing.

First-year students whose parents reside inside a 50-mile radius of the main campus are required to live either with their parents, on campus in a UC residence hall community, or in University-Affiliated Housing.

If you live outside of the 50-mile radius and would like to request exemption from living on campus, complete the Freshman Exemption Form in the housing application.

First-Year Students Residence Options
Status UC Undergraduate Housing University Housing* At home with parents Other Off-campus Housing
Parents live within 50  miles of campus Yes Yes
Yes No
Parents live more than 50 miles from campus Yes No
No No
You are transferring 30 or fewer credit hours Yes No No No
Married No No Yes Yes

* University Housing refers to University Park Apartments, located on campus, but independently managed.

As you prepare for college, we would like you to consider living on campus in our residence halls communities. There are many benefits to living on campus including:

  • No commute, no icy roads, and no parking hassles.
  • Programs and activities help you adapt to campus life.
  • Meals, study groups, labs, athletic activities are all right here.
  • Everything is billed to your UC student account.
  • You will make friends that could last a lifetime!

An important policy to note is the university’s live-on campus requirement:

Unmarried, first-year students under 21, whose parent’s or guardian’s principal residence is within 50 miles of the Uptown campus are excused, without special request, from the University housing policy if they live with their parents at home. Otherwise, a first-year student is required to live in the University Housing.

By submitting your housing application as soon as possible, you will improve the possibility of being assigned to one of your preferred housing choices. The process of submitting an application for housing has been greatly simplified by the use of the online application. You can access the online application, when available, on the Apply page.

  • No commute, no icy roads, and no parking hassles.
  • Programs and activities help you adapt to campus life.
  • Meals, study groups, labs, athletic activities are all right here.
  • Everything is billed to your UC student account.
  • You will make friends that could last a lifetime!

Add up all the benefits of campus living, and the reason for UC’s housing policy is clear — residence hall living provides valuable experience and support that will foster your success here.

In fact, the university is so committed to supporting your success that all unmarried, first-year students, or transfer students with fewer than 30 credit hours, are required to live in the halls during their first year, unless they are residing with their parent(s) within a 50-mile radius of the Uptown Campus.

All Residents

Prior to Occupancy

You may cancel your Housing Agreement by providing the Office of Housing & Food Services (HFS) a written notice via mail, fax or email by the dates and under the conditions identified in your Housing Agreement. Written notice must include your full name and your Student ID number. It must also indicate whether you will still be attending UC.

After Occupancy

Although all residents are expected to fulfill the terms of the Housing Agreement for the full academic year or the portion remaining at the time of assignment, HFS realizes unforeseen circumstances may prevent a student from fulfilling the Agreement. HFS will work individually with you if such circumstances occur. Petitions to be released from the Housing Agreement must be received in HFS by November 30 to be considered for the spring semester. Any early release from the Housing Agreement results in a forfeiture of the $75 application fee.


If you are required to live on campus

Complete a Petition for Release in the housing application portal.

You should be prepared to document and then to discuss in specific terms the reason(s) you are unable to fulfill your contractual responsibilities.

All petitions must be received by the appropriate deadline, as indicated in your Housing Agreement. After the deadline, only those petitions submitted for the next term or for a condition that has occurred since the deadline will be considered for release.

If you are not required to live on campus

You may terminate your contract for subsequent terms without cause upon payment of a termination fee of 50% of room price for each term remaining in your agreement and forfeiture of your $75 application fee.


The purpose of this policy is to define the manner in which University Housing will go to help transgender and/or gender non-conforming students obtain suitable, safe housing that is keeping with their gender identity/expression.


Transgender and/or gender-non conforming students are valued members of the university housing living community at the University of Cincinnati.

In meeting the needs of the incoming student, University Housing staff will recognize and respect the gender identity the student has established with Housing as part of their housing application. Staff will not ask for any more information than is required to meet the student’s housing needs, and all disclosed information will be kept strictly confidential. In order to provide support for the needs of current and incoming transgender and/or gender non-conforming students, University Housing strongly encourages potential and current residents to contact the Assistant Director of Resident Education & Development, Aleia White, early in the housing request process so that we may offer the widest range of possible housing options.  

The University Housing staff member will work with the students to find a residence hall space that best meets their needs, factoring gender expression, gender identity, comfortableness in transition and bathroom needs.

Room rates will be consistent with our other undergraduate population living in the residence hall communities.

The University of Cincinnati does not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, color, religion,national origin, ancestry, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, age, sexual orientation, veteran status or gender identity and expression in its programs and activities.

The university does not tolerate discrimination, harassment, or retaliation on these bases and takes steps to ensure that students, employees, and third parties are not subject to a hostile environment in university programs or activities.

The university responds promptly and effectively to allegations of discrimination, harassment and retaliation. It promptly conducts investigations and takes appropriate action, including disciplinary action, against individuals found to have violated its policies, as well as provides appropriate remedies to complainants and the campus community. The university takes immediate action to end a hostile environment if one has been created, prevent its recurrence, and remedy the effects of any hostile environment on affected members of the campus community.

UC is committed to the ideal of universal web accessibility and strives to provide an accessible Web presence that enables all university community members and visitors full access to information provided on its websites. Every effort has been made to make these pages as accessible as possible in accordance with the applicable guidelines.

As of May 1, 2017, all University of Cincinnati campuses are tobacco and smoke free, both indoors and outdoors. 

In Calhoun, Dabney, Daniels, Marian Spencer, Siddall, Stratford Heights, and Turner Halls, no alcoholic beverages or alcoholic beverage containers (cans, bottles) are permitted on the premises. This includes cans or bottles used for decoration.

In Campus Rec Hall, Morgens and Schneider Halls, alcohol is permitted as stipulated in the university alcohol policy. Persons possessing alcohol must be 21; alcohol is permitted in the room or suite with the door closed.

UC strives to provide a safe environment for its students, which requires that we ALL work together to help ensure that UC’s residence halls and other buildings are as safe as possible. Campus safety is a community responsibility. Please help UC keep our residence halls safe by handling your personal electronic devices with care and in accordance with their user manual to avoid risk of fire.

Additionally, you may not store electronic transportation devices, “homemade” battery powered or electronic devices, and any other flammable devices in the residence halls. As always, please continue to be mindful of the safety of others, as well as yourselves. Failure to uphold your obligations may result in disciplinary proceedings pursuant to the Student Code of Conduct.

Please contact the Office of Accessibility Resources if you require the use of a prohibited item in the residence hall to accommodate a disability.

If you have any questions about whether a device is permissible in the residence halls, please contact Resident Education and Development at 556-6476.