COVID-19 Updates: uc.edu/publichealth
Campus Rec 201
Welcome to Campus Rec 201! Check out the tips below to get ensure you are using correct form when trying these exercises.
Equipment Tutorial Tips
- For more information on how to set the weights on the selectorized weight equipment, check out this video!
- The machines work on simple switches
- The machine will pull the heaviest weight selected
- If no weight is selected, it will pull 10 lbs or whatever the lightest weight is
- Schedule a free Fitness Floor Orientation at any time at Member Services or online.
Tricep Extension Tips
- Keep your elbows in like earmuffs
- Lift your arms straight up and hinge at your elbows
- You can use a split stance to protect your lower back
- Place the bar in the meaty part of your upper back and shoulders – off of your neck!
- Keep your heals in line with the bar when setting up
- Take two big steps away from the bar
- Push your hips back first!
- Drive the knees out and push back up through the heals
- Remember to breathe! – Exhale on the return to stand
- Keep your hands shoulder width apart, elbows lined up under the shoulders
- Keep your body in a straight line: your core tight and butt down
- Equal pressure through the hands into the floor and heels drive back to flex the quads
- Hold - hold - hold!
Chest Press Tips
- Have good posture while lying down to set yourself up for good posture for your chest press
- Keep the natural curvature of your back on bench
- Always ensure you have clips to keep your weights from falling off the bar
- Plant your feet into the floor
- Keep the bar in the middle of your chest/sternum while pressing and place back on the rack
- Remember to breathe! – Exhale on the return to starting position
Bicep Curl Tips
- Don't rock the boat!
- Keep your elbows tight to your body and move your arms steadily up and down during the curl
- To keep your body steady, you can try seated curls on a bench or have your back straight up against a wall
Pull Up v. Chin Up
Pull Up v. Chin Up Tips
- Chin Up: Hands will be closer together and facing you, use more of biceps
- Pull Up:Arms are wider, hands facing out, utilize lats
- With both, keep a nice slow contraction while completing the movement both up and down to get the best results
- Keep the bar in the middle of your foot
- Do a hair flip and push hips back
- Keep your shoulders and lats locked down
- Keep everything contracted while completing the entire movement of driving pressure down through the legs to return to standing
- Plant with your front foot, keep your chest lifted and core strong
- Move your body down like an elevator (straight down and back up) and not like an escalator (front to back)
- Make sure your front knee doesn't go past your front toe