The Mind Body Wellness Room
CAPS Wellness Rooms FAQs
What are the CAPS Wellness Rooms?
CAPS welcomes student to utilize two new Wellness Rooms free of charge: The Meditation Room and the Biofeedback Room.
The Meditation Room provides a quiet, tranquil space where students can meditate using chairs or traditional meditation cushions (zafus and zabutans). Students can utilize guided meditation audio and/or attend an introduction to meditation workshop to support them as they develop their meditation practice.
Biofeedback is an alternative medicine approach which uses digital feedback to assist users in practicing body and thought control as they develop relaxation and concentration skills. The Biofeedback room provides three different computerized games controlled by players through the use of finger sensors. Bio (meaning body) and feedback (meaning information) uses information from the body (such as heart rate and skin conductivity) to help players learn to control their breathing, reduce muscle tension and think positively.
Who can use the Wellness Rooms?
The rooms are available to any UC student. Students need not be a current CAPS client.
Is there a fee?
Orientation to the rooms and ongoing use of the rooms are free of charge.
How do I reserve one of the Wellness Rooms?
· Students can schedule appointments by calling the front desk and providing their name and phone number.
· Students may schedule 30 minute or 1 hour appointments in either room.
· Students are asked to provide 24-hour advanced notice for cancellations so that the room can be made available to others.
How do I get started with Biofeedback?
· All students must complete a brief orientation to the rooms. Current CAPS clients will be provided a brief orientation by their therapist.
· Non-CAPS clients will schedule a 15 minute orientation with a CAPS Peer Educator.
- Please call CAPS at 513-556-0648, to reserve the room.
How do I get started with Meditation?
· Current clients may attend a free four week meditation seminar provided weekly by Dr. Tow Yau. Please call CAPS at 513-556-0648 to reserve the room.
What are the risks and benefits of Biofeedback and Meditation?
Biofeedback and meditation are alternative medicine approaches with the goal of positively impacting mood, relaxation skills, pain management, attention and concentration. Typically a number of sessions (at least 10 and sometimes many more) are needed before results are seen.
Both approaches are considered safe though you should consult with a professional to determine if this is an appropriate intervention for your needs. Biofeedback therapy is not recommended for certain persons such as those with severe psychosis or obsessional neurosis. Also, anyone taking insulin should be aware that by enhancing the body’s use of glucose, biofeedback therapy can lower blood glucose levels for up to four hours after a session. Therefore, it is a good idea to check blood glucose levels frequently following biofeedback. Please check with your doctor to see whether this is an appropriate treatment for you before beginning use of the rooms.