Coronavirus COVID-19 Updates: uc.edu/publichealth or 513-556-7200
The Graduate Student Government (GSG) Research Fellowship is an award designed to help graduate students further their research interests. This award may be used to fund research related expenses including, but not limited to, research related travel, workshops, conferences, field trips, performances, exhibitions, lab equipment and so on. We award up to $1200, or $1500 for interdisciplinary projects or projects that intend to advance diversity.
The Research Fellowship is not intended for conference travel. Application to and receipt of a GSG Conference Travel Award does not exclude a student from consideration for the Research Fellowship. If you have received the maximum funds allowed for the Conference Travel Award and wish to attend other conferences directly related to your research, this may be included in your proposal.
Please note: Due to university policies, the Research Fellowship may not be used:
- to purchase electronic items such as laptop, PC, iPad, Kindle, mobile device, etc. (purchase of software/GPU/lab equipment maybe allowed depending on the strength/need of the application)
- to reimburse third parties for services,
- to fund survey awards/gifts, or
- to pay tuition (workshops/training may be allowed)
A student must satisfy all of the following criteria to be considered for the Research Fellowship:
- Must be a degree seeking graduate student with at least 12 graduate credit hours earned when applying (first semester graduate students students cannot apply for this cycle).
- Must be registered for at least 1 graduate credit hour in Fall 2019/Spring 2020.
- Must be a member of a properly registered and active GSA group.
The Research Fellowship is made possible by the generous support of the Graduate School, the UC Office of Research and the Graduate Student Government.
Students may apply for individual Research Fellowships. All research proposals will be considered and are not required to align with thesis or dissertation projects. Research Fellowships are a one-time award per degree. If a student graduates after receiving a Research Fellowship and returns to the University of Cincinnati to complete another degree, he or she may be eligible for another Research Fellowship in their new degree. The maximum amount that a student can be awarded is $1200 for the regular Research Fellowship and $1500 for Advancement of Diversity or Interdisciplinary Research Awards.
To be submitted electronically as 1 PDF file only, consisting of 6 parts:
- GSG Research Application Form Please note: If you are a current GSA officer applying for this Fellowship, please do not sign your own application but instead have another officer sign for you.
- Statement of Purpose. Maximum 3 pages double-spaced, with no less than 1″ margins and 11 pt font. If the Research Fellowship will be used for travel, the location and dates must be mentioned here. The Statement of Purpose should detail your research project for a non-specialized audience. Please answer:
- Who, what, why, how, and in what time frame.
- The current status of your research. Applications must be for continuing research.
- The relevance of your research to related fields and the contribution that your research will add.
- Goals and future plans for the project (such as conference presentation, publication, etc.).
- How your research will benefit the University and the UC community.
- Detailed description of how you plan to spend your Research Fellowship and justifications for your spending plan.
- If you are applying for the Research Fellowship for the Advancement of Diversity or Interdisciplinary Research, please detail how your research supports these initiatives in a short essay, not exceeding 1 page.
This essay should include the reasons why you are specifically applying for this fellowship and why you believe your research can be characterized as tackling topics on diversity or exemplifying interdisciplinary research.
- Curriculum Vitae (maximum of 2 pages).
- Current proof of enrollment - OneStop Bill (download from catalyst.uc.edu, under My Finances --> Account Summary --> View Term Bill).
- Unofficial Transcript (download from catalyst.uc.edu, under My Academics --> Grades/Transcript/Enroll Cert --> View my unofficial record).
- One letter of recommendation
- The letter must be on UC letterhead and must clearly identify the recommended student by name and college.
- The letter must come from a faculty member who is familiar with the applicant’s research. They should describe your research activity and your ability to accomplish the tasks put forward in your proposal.
Submit all completed materials in 1 PDF file to the Research Fellowship Committee via email: email@example.com
Questions can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline: 5 PM, December 6th, 2019.
- All materials listed above must be present in the PDF application to be eligible. Incomplete applications will be not be reviewed by the committee.
- Materials submitted on paper or sent to GSG email addresses other than email@example.com will not be considered by the reviewing committee.
The Research Fellowship Review Committee will select proposals and will notify recipients at the end of January 2020.
For other university-sponsored funding opportunities, visit: