COVID-19 Updates:

Retirement Plan Information


Employees of Ohio public institutions do not contribute to the federal Social Security system, other than contributions to Medicare (employees hired after April 1, 1986). While employed by the university, your retirement contributions must be directed to one of the state retirement plans (OPERS, STRS) or to the Alternative Retirement Plan (ARP). Employees hired before July 1, 1977 may participate in the Grandfathered Retirement Plan (Fidelity, TIAA, Vanguard) rather than OPERS, STRS, or the Alternative Retirement Plan. 

benefits puzzle graphic

Your retirement plan selection is irrevocable unless:

  • You are hired into a position that is less than 100% FTE.  If you transfer to a 100% FTE position, you may elect to participate in the Alternative Retirement Plan;
  • You separate your employment and are not re-employed by UC for a period of 365 days or longer.

If you transfer from a staff to faculty (or vice versa) position, your retirement plan election will be updated to match your new position.  

Information about the plans

Click to learn more about the Ohio Public Employee Retirement System (OPERS), which is appropriate for staff (non-faculty).

Click to learn more about the State Teachers Retirement System (STRS), which is appropriate for faculty.

Learn about Alternative Retirement Plans (ARP), contributions and vendors available to 100% FTE UC faculty and staff.

Details about the grandfathered 403(b) plan are available here, for those who were employed by the university prior to July 1, 1977.

Retirement Plan Comparison Charts

Explanation about the mitigating rate for alternative retirement plans  when selected in lieu of the state retirement systems.

Important Links

General Information

Have More/Specific Questions? 

Click below for a full listing of UC resources and all benefits providers and vendors.