COVID-19 Updates:


People sitting on public transportation

UC Shuttle

The UC Shuttle Transportation systems are a convenient, free way to travel between buildings in the main east and west campuses. You can also use the shuttle on the weekends to travel to popular places downtown, like OTR, Newport-on-the-Levee, and Mt. Adams.

You can also use the Shuttle Tracker to see the different stops the shuttle takes and to estimate how long it will take for a bus to come.

UC Nightride

UC Nightride is a free nighttime transportation service for UC students that will take you anywhere within one mile of UC's main campus.

NightRide runs every day from 8pm - 5am. You'll need to have your Bearcat card with you in order to use this service.

Call 513-556-7433 to set up a ride, or download the NightRide app on your phone!


Greater Cincinnati’s public transportation system, the Metro, offers bus service in Hamilton County and portions of Clermont County every day of the year. Fares are subject to change. For complete route, schedule and fare information, check the Metro website, or call the Metro Center at 513-621-4455, weekdays 6:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. and weekends 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Through UC*Metro, you can get a bus pass for the semester at a discount.

Cincinnati METRO bus

Taxi Services

There are many taxicab companies in Cincinnati. The Yellow Cab Company (513-241-2100) is reliable and experienced, but there are many other taxicab companies to choose from. You must call to be picked up; taxis do not cruise around town like in many other big cities.

Uber & Lyft

These are transportation services whose mobile phone apps connect you with a reliable ride. Payment is automatic through the app, and fares are typically cheaper than a taxi.

Inside of taxi

University of Cincinnati Bearcat Bike Share

The Bearcat Bike Share provides free bicycles to anyone with a valid UC ID. The bike share works like a library; riders can check out the bikes to use on or off campus. The Bearcat Bike Share is located on UC’s Uptown Campus, at the Campus Recreation Center (West Campus) and the Fitness Center at CARE/Crawley (East Campus). Eventually, the program may expand to other campuses and will interface with the proposed City of Cincinnati bike share program.


The City of Cincinnati’s Red Bike Share Program

Cincinnati is making bicycling an integral part of daily life. The Red Bike Share Program allows members to rent and ride bikes throughout the city, connecting campus to the downtown area. There are many conveniently located bike rental stations on UC’s campus.

Red bike share program

Air Travel

The Greater Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky Airport is the city’s international airport. Flight and other travel information is available on their website.


Out-of-Town Bus Service

The Greyhound bus station is located at 1005 Gilbert Avenue, downtown Cincinnati. Call 1-800-231-2222 (out of town) or 352-6012 (local) for schedule and fare information. Bus fares are reasonable and riding the bus is a great way to see the United States.

The Megabus also has a bus stop on campus at West University Avenue and Commons Way. Megabus tickets are availble to and from several U.S. cities.


Train Services

The Amtrak train station is located at 1301 Western Avenue, Queensgate. Routes may be limited.

Driving a Car

If you have a valid International Drivers License or a valid drivers license from another U.S. state, you may drive a car in Ohio for up to one year from the date of your arrival in the U.S. Your I-20 or DS-2019 must have been issued for a duration of time that exceeds one year in order to obtain an Ohio Drivers License.

However, if you purchase a car and register it in your name, or if you do not have a valid driver’s license from Ohio, you will need to get an Ohio Drivers License. Once you have a license, remember to carry both your license and proof of insurance with you whenever you drive.

You may purchase your own car while in the United States, but cars are also available to rent. ZipCar offers car rentals right on campus. However, if you are under the age of 25, you will pay more to rent a car.

Getting a Drivers License

The following outlines the procedure for getting an Ohio Driver’s license:

  1. Get a copy of the Digest of Ohio Motor Vehicle Laws from any Bureau of Motor Vehicles. We also have these booklets available at UC International.
  2. Visit the nearest Deputy Registrar Office to get a temporary permit application packet. A fee will be charged, and you will need to bring identification with you.
  3. Go to the nearest drivers license exam station to take a vision test and a written test on Ohio motor vehicle regulations and traffic signs. After you pass the written test, you will be issued a temporary instruction permit, which authorizes you to practice for your road test only when there is a licensed driver seated in the front seat.
  4. When you have developed your driving skills well enough, contact the nearest exam station to schedule a road test.
  5. In order to be issued a license, a foreign national must present:
    • Valid passport;
    • U.S. visa;
    • I-94 card;
    • One of the following: An I-20, or a DS-2019 along with original letter from a recognized Ohio business or institution stating that the individual is affiliated with (i.e., employed by or attending), or a dependent, of the institution or business;
      Note: UC Students and scholars should submit the appropriate Driver's License Letter Request Form in the iBearcatsGlobal database.
    • The foreign national must show he or she will reside, or has resided, in Ohio for 12 months, which can normally be proven using the above documentation; and
    • Each applicant must state whether or not a permanent Social Security number has been assigned. However, a permanent number is not required to be issued a driver’s license. Foreign nationals who will not reside in Ohio for more than 12 months can drive on an international driver’s license.

More detailed information about getting an Ohio driver’s license and license plates can be found in the Digest of Ohio Motor Vehicle Laws.


Auto Insurance

Please make sure you purchase auto insurance. It’s against the law to drive without it!

In order to obtain license plates for a car, you will be required to show proof that you have auto insurance. Many companies offer a variety of auto insurance policies, so you should "shop around". When you have selected a policy, read it creafully before signing any documents. The following companies offer auto insurance.

AIG International Services
+1 (877) 708-6995

AllState Insurance
+1 (847) 402-5000

American Family Insurance
+1 (608) 249-2111

Geico Direct
+1 (800) 841-3000

Liberty Mutual
+1 (800) 225-2467

Nationwide Insurance
+1 (800) 882-2822

Progressive Insurance
+1 (800) 776-4737

State Farm Insurance
+1 (877) 734-2265

+1 (800) 378-7262


Traffic Laws

Please remember that in the United States, cars are driven on the right side of the road. Err on the side of caution when driving, especially if you are driving a rented car.

If you are driving and a police officer turns on the lights of their car, pull over to the side of the road and wait for the officer to approach you. Provide any documentation that the officer asks for and do not leave until they give you permission

Airport Shuttle

UC International Services and the University of Cincinnati provide currently-enrolled international students with FREE airport transportation to CVG during semester breaks. The shuttle is managed through Executive Transportation. You will receive an email when the shuttle sign-ups are available.

This service is for one departure and one arrival per break. We will offer this service approximately 2 times per year within a specific date range:

  • at the end of Fall Semester
    (December departures with January returns)
  • at the end of Spring Semester
    (April/May departure with August returns)

To utilize this service, you will sign up for pickup to CVG and for drop-off to campus when your break is over. Pick-ups and returns will be at CCM Circle off West Corry Boulevard near Mary Emery Hall. 

If you experience a delay or flight cancellation on your return to CVG, you may still utilize the service. Simply provide your name and M# to the Executive Transport Information Desk, located near luggage carousel #4 in Baggage Claim. For questions regarding transportation please contact Executive Transportation directly at: (859)-261-8841.