CCM's streaming series continues with performance by the Chamber Choir
‘Together/Apart’ is now available for on-demand viewing
The UC College-Conservatory of Music's virtual concert series continues with a powerful performance by the CCM Chamber Choir.
CCM's "stars of tomorrow" are back on stage, and you get the best seats in the house! The third episode of CCMONSTAGE Online is now available for on-demand viewing. Originally broadcast on Friday, March 19, Together/Apart is an hour-long virtual concert featuring the CCM Chamber Choir under the direction of accomplished new faculty member Joe Miller, who was named the director of CCM's lauded Choral Studies program in 2020.
"The isolation generated by the pandemic is at the heart of Together/Apart," says Miller. "Strengthening our world by staying apart is a new concept for many of us and one that we both resist and embrace."
Engaging with music allows us to recognize the significance of this isolation.
CCM Professor Joe Miller
Comprised of nine musical selections dating from the Renaissance to the 21st century, Together/Apart's eclectic program takes viewers on an emotional journey that reflects on the impact of COVID-19. Works by Thomas Morley, Claudio Monteverdi and J.S. Bach are featured alongside contemporary pieces like David Lang's "I Am Walking" and The Wailin' Jennys' "One Voice." The performance is also a collaborative effort with CCM's Department of Theatre Design and Production, and also features lighting and projections by student designer Emily Rooks.
"Engaging with music allows us to recognize the significance of this isolation," says Miller. "Together/Apart seeks to provide a musical landscape, reflecting this shared experience. Sometimes music is the only thing that makes sense."
Like other episodes in CCM's new virtual performance series, Together/Apart also features commentary from CCM students. All episodes of CCMONSTAGE Online can be digitally streamed for free. After the premiere broadcast, each installment in this ongoing series will remain available for on-demand viewing on CCM’s website, YouTube channel and Facebook page.
In addition to the performances recorded in CCM's Corbett Auditorium, portions of Together/Apart were also recorded at Cincinnati's Old St. Mary's Church. Video production by MasseyGreenAVP, LLC. This digital performance series is made possible by support from CCMONSTAGE Online Broadcast Sponsors CCMpower and ArtsWave, and CCMONSTAGE Online Production Sponsors Dr. & Mrs. Carl G. Fischer.
7:30 p.m. EDT Friday, March 19, 2021
- David Lang: “I Am Walking” from Death Speaks
- Thomas Morley: Nolo mortem peccatoris
- Claudio Monteverdi: Ohimè, dov’è il mio ben (from Book VII Madrigals)
- Robert White: Domine quis habitabit (III)
- Paweł Łukaszewski: Responsoria Tenebrae: V. Ecce quomodo moritur
- Johann Sebastian Bach: Komm, Jesu, komm
- Ruth Moody, arr. Marcelline Moody: One Voice
- Nathan Jones: I Would Live in Your Love
- Ola Gjeilo: Ubi Caritas
CCM Chamber Choir
Joe Miller, music director and conductor
Joseph Taff, graduate assistant conductor
Shane Thomas, Jr., graduate assistant conductor
Shane Thomas, Jr.
Instrumentalists and Soloists
“I Am Walking” from Death Speaks
Tanya Harris, soprano
Shane Thomas, Jr., tenor
Melodie Spencer, violin
Jay Mobley, guitar
Thomas Heidenreich, piano
Ohimè, dov’è il mio ben (from Book VII Madrigals)
Melodie Spencer, soprano
Reed Demangone, countertenor
Christopher Wilke, theorbo
Komm, Jesu, komm
Christopher Wilke, baroque guitar
Thomas Heidenreich, organ
Joshua Bermudez, cello
Zachary Reich, bass
Tori Adams, soprano
Maya McGuire, soprano
Kate Gardin, mezzo-soprano
Matt Coffey and Joseph Taff, guitar
Shane Thomas, Jr., conductor
Joe Miller, piano
Meghan Emanuel, primary stage manager
Morgan Piper, assistant stage manager
Additional Theatre Design and Production Support
Sharon Huizinga, Lighting Design and Technology Faculty Member
Michele Kay, Theatre Design and Production Chair
Director - Matt Green
Producer/Editor - Austin Maynard
Joel Crawford (on Thomas Morley’s Nolo mortem peccatoris and Robert White’s Domine Quis Habitabit III)
Senior Director of Performance Operations
CCMONSTAGE Online Series Concept Developed and Managed by
CCM Digital Content Team
Kenneth D. Allen
Clarence M. Brown
- Louise Dieterle Nippert Trust
- Scholarship and Resident Artist Sponsor
- The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation
- CSO/CCM Diversity Fellowship Sponsor
- The Corbett Endowment at CCM
- Dance Department Sponsor
- All-Steinway School Sponsor
- Louise H. & David S. Ingalls Foundation, Inc.
- Community Partners
- The Joseph and Frances Jones Poetker Fund of the Cambridge Charitable Foundation, Ritter & Randolph, LLC, Corporate Counsel
- Visiting Artists & Thinking About Music Sponsor
- ArtsWave: Funding Arts, Fueling Community
- CCMpower: Friends and Alumni Fueling the Future of the Arts
The Strader Fund at the Greater Cincinnati Foundation
- CCMONSTAGE ONLINE Broadcast Sponsors
- Dr. & Mrs. Carl G. Fischer
- Musical Theatre Department Sponsor
- Genevieve Smith
- Opera Production Sponsor
- Rafael and Kimberly de Acha
- Opera D’Arte Sponsor
- An Anonymous Donor
- Estate of Mr. William A. Friedlander
- Mrs. William A. Friedlander
- Dr. Randolph L. Wadsworth
- Judith Schonbach Landgren and Peter Landgren
- Mr. & Mrs. Harry H. Santen
- Elizabeth C.B. & Paul G. Sittenfeld+
- Mr. & Mrs. Thomas E. Stegman
- Dr. & Mrs. Theodore W. Striker+
- Mrs. Harry M. Hoffheimer
- Ariel Quartet Sponsors
- Jan Rogers
- Willard and Jean Mulford Charitable Fund of the Cambridge Charitable Foundation
- Choral Studies Sponsors
- Mr. & Mrs. Joseph W. Hirschhorn
- Orchestral Sponsor
- Dorothy Richard Starling Foundation
- Starling Pre-Collegiate Sponsor
- Starling Strings Sponsor
- Dr. Timothy E. and Janet L. Johnson
- Thom Miles and Roberta Gary
- Organ Department Sponsors
- Louis and Susan Meisel
- Piano Department Sponsor
- Richard E. Thornburgh
- Edward Donovan and Cheryl Carter
- Jeff Thomas Catering
- The Castleberry Family
- KMK Law
- Sandra & Stephen Joffe
- Paula Boggs Muething & Brian Muething
- Patti Myers & Alan Flaherty
- Trish & Rick Bryan
- Prestige AV & Creative Services
- Graeter’s Ice Cream
- The CCM Harmony Fund: Challenging Hate & Prejudice through the Performing Arts
- Event Sponsors
- Buddy Rogers Music
- LINKS Sponsor Sponsors listed as of August 30, 2021
About the Series
CCMONSTAGE Online is a series of free digital concerts and performing arts presentations showcasing the unparalleled artistry and expertise of CCM's students, faculty and staff. Enjoy a sneak peek at a few of our upcoming episodes:
A preeminent institution for the performing and media arts, the University of Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music offers nearly 120 possible majors, along with a wide variety of pre-collegiate and post-graduate programs.
The synergy created by housing CCM within a comprehensive public university gives the college its unique character and defines its objective: to educate and inspire the whole artist and scholar for positions on the world stage.
For more information, please visit us online at ccm.uc.edu.
Featured image at top: the CCM Chamber Choir performs in a still image from the third installment of CCMONSTAGE Online. Photo/MasseyGreenAVP
CCM Summer's "Be the Change" workshop engages Prep Musical...
June 21, 2022
The summer high school Musical Theatre Workshop at UC's College-Conservatory of Music dedicated Monday's activities to share a curriculum focused on social justice, commemorating Juneteenth.
Dayton Daily News: CCM alum Alex Stone featured in national tour...
June 21, 2022
The Dayton Daily News recently caught up with CCM alum Alex Stone (BFA Musical Theatre, ‘19) ahead of his appearance at the Schuster Center as part of the national touring company of Fiddler on the Roof. The iconic musical returned to Broadway for its 50th anniversary in 2015, and Stone has been part of the show’s touring cast since 2021.
CCM alum Avishay Shalom wins first prize at the Nikisch...
June 16, 2022
Conductor, arranger and CCM alumnus Avishay Shalom (MM Orchestral Conducting, ‘16) received first prize at the second edition of the Arthur Nikisch International Conducting Competition, which was held from June 6-11, 2022, in Bulgaria.