Watch CCM's Musical Theatre Class of 2024 perform the song 'Stand Up' from the film 'Harriet'
The performance was recorded at the Ohio River and the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center
The members of CCM's Musical Theatre Class of 2024 make their showcase debut this spring!
In this excerpt from the CCM Musical Theatre Class of 2024 Freshman Showcase, students Benjamin Cheng, Jeffrey Cornelius, Michael Lee Jr., Madison Mosley, Peter Neureuther, Annalise Prentiss, Julia Schick, Cynsere Stevens and Jamal Stone perform Cynthia Erivo and Joshuah Brian Campbell’s “Stand Up” from the 2019 biographical film “Harriet” on the banks of the Ohio River and at the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center.
The film “Harriet” details the life and accomplishments of abolitionist Harriet Tubman, who personally freed approximately 70 slaves on the Underground Railroad according to author Kate Clifford Larson. The song “Stand Up” is the lead single from the film's soundtrack. CCM's video for “Stand Up” includes still images by Julio Cortez/Associated Press, Dai Sugano/Twitter and John Minchillo/Associated Press.
Juneteenth: A day on, not a day off
This Saturday marks the 156th anniversary of Juneteenth, a celebration of the emancipation of enslaved African Americans at the end of the Civil War.
Segments of CCM's Musical Theatre Freshman Showcase were recorded at iconic locations throughout the city in collaboration with Cincinnati Playhouse in the Park, Cincinnati Shakespeare Company, Ensemble Theatre Cincinnati, Imperial Theatre Mohawk Arts Center, Memorial Hall, the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center and Washington Park.
CCM's Musical Theatre Freshman Showcase is produced and directed by Associate Professor Vincent DeGeorge, with music direction, arrangements, orchestration, mix and production by Assistant Professor Stephen Goers. Music recording is provided by CCM student Aaron Harris Woodstein. CCM alum Raven Thomas serves as content advisor. CCM students Nate Jones and Madison Mosley provide editing and digital imaging. Camera work is provided by students Jeffery Cornelius, Nate Jones, Madison Mosley, Nick Pattarini and August Bagg.
Student created showcases bookend the training experience for CCM’s Musical Theatre majors. A Freshman Showcase is traditionally presented in Cincinnati, while a Senior Showcase is presented for agents and casting directors in New York City. CCM curated the industry's first Senior Showcase in 1993, and was the first college to introduce a digital showcase experience in 2020. The 2021 Freshman and Senior Showcases are both being presented virtually in accordance with COVID Careful protocols.
The Freshman Showcase is the culmination of a year's worth of work. Students chose the songs, wrote their monologues and were involved in every aspect of the planning, production and post-production. CCM's full-length Musical Theatre Class of 2024 Freshman Showcase received a preview broadcast for family and friends on April 17, 2021, and will be released to the general public once post-production is completed.
Watch a trailer for the showcase below and subscribe to CCM's e-newsletter to receive updates on the full showcase release date.
- Louise Dieterle Nippert Trust
- Scholarship and Resident Artist Sponsor
- The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation
- CSO/CCM Diversity Fellowship Sponsor
- The Corbett Endowment at CCM
- Dance Department Sponsor
- All-Steinway School Sponsor
- Louise H. & David S. Ingalls Foundation, Inc.
- Community Partners
- The Joseph and Frances Jones Poetker Fund of the Cambridge Charitable Foundation, Ritter & Randolph, LLC, Corporate Counsel
- Visiting Artists & Thinking About Music Sponsor
- ArtsWave: Funding Arts, Fueling Community
- CCMpower: Friends and Alumni Fueling the Future of the Arts
The Strader Fund at the Greater Cincinnati Foundation
- CCMONSTAGE ONLINE Broadcast Sponsors
- Dr. & Mrs. Carl G. Fischer
- Musical Theatre Department Sponsor
- Genevieve Smith
- Opera Production Sponsor
- Rafael and Kimberly de Acha
- Opera D’Arte Sponsor
- An Anonymous Donor
- Estate of Mr. William A. Friedlander
- Mrs. William A. Friedlander
- Dr. Randolph L. Wadsworth
- Judith Schonbach Landgren and Peter Landgren
- Mr. & Mrs. Harry H. Santen
- Elizabeth C.B. & Paul G. Sittenfeld+
- Mr. & Mrs. Thomas E. Stegman
- Dr. & Mrs. Theodore W. Striker
- Mrs. Harry M. Hoffheimer
- Ariel Quartet Sponsors
- Jan Rogers
- Willard and Jean Mulford Charitable Fund of the Cambridge Charitable Foundation
- Choral Studies Sponsors
- Mr. & Mrs. Joseph W. Hirschhorn
- Orchestral Sponsor
- Dorothy Richard Starling Foundation
- Starling Pre-Collegiate Sponsor
- Starling Strings Sponsor
- Dr. Timothy E. and Janet L. Johnson
- Thom Miles and Roberta Gary
- Organ Department Sponsors
- Louis and Susan Meisel
- Piano Department Sponsor
- Richard E. Thornburgh
- Edward Donovan and Cheryl Carter
- Jeff Thomas Catering
- The Castleberry Family
- KMK Law
- Sandra & Stephen Joffe
- Paula Boggs Muething & Brian Muething
- Patti Myers & Alan Flaherty
- Trish & Rick Bryan
- Prestige AV & Creative Services
- Graeter’s Ice Cream
- The CCM Harmony Fund: Challenging Hate & Prejudice through the Performing Arts
- Event Sponsors
- Buddy Rogers Music
- LINKS Sponsor Sponsors listed as of August 30, 2021
Featured image at top: Freshman musical theatre majors performing at the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center in a still from the Freshman Showcase.
Keisha Love named Vice Provost for Faculty Advancement and...
December 2, 2021
Keisha Love Named Vice Provost for Faculty Advancement and Academic Inclusion
WATCH: CCM participates in international virtual performance...
December 1, 2021
The Wuhan Conservatory of Music invited UC's College-Conservatory of Music to participate in the fifth year of its "Melody of Yangtze River: World Famous Music Institution Exchange Performance Season."
Next on Stage: CCM announces January and February ticketed events
December 1, 2021
Start the new year with performances by tomorrow's stars at the University of Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music (CCM).