Fox 19: State hopes pilot program will help Ohioans complete bachelor's degrees
UC encourages prospective students to apply for the Second Chance Grant Pilot Program
There about 1.5 million Ohio residents who have earned some college credit but haven't complete their bachelor's degree.
Economists have indicated that increasing the number of Ohioans with postsecondary degrees or credentials is necessary for the state to remain competitive economically and meet the workforce needs of the future.
Ohio Department of Higher Education is operating the Second Chance Grant Pilot Program to further this goal. It will provide up to $3 million in financial assistance in the form of $2,000 grants to eligible students re-enrolling at the University of Cincinnati and other qualifying institutions to obtain a bachelor's degree.
Jack Miner, vice provost for enrollment management at the University of Cincinnati, spoke with Fox 19 about the Second Chance Grant Pilot Program and how prospective UC students can benefit from a return to the classroom.
Here's who qualities:
- Students who have been out 1-5 years (minimum of 3 semesters removed).
- If you want to return to UC or another qualifying institution to complete their degree (have not obtained a bachelor’s degree; re-enrollee is pursuing a credential or degree beyond that which they already possess.)
- If you are Ohio resident.
- If you are in good academic standing with no record of disciplinary issues.
- If you have completed the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- Must not be recipients of one of the following state supported scholarships: Choose Ohio First Scholarship, Ohio Safety Officers College Memorial Fund, War Orphans and Severely Disabled Veterans’ Scholarship Program, or Ohio National Guard Scholarship.
Interested students can reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org for additional assistance.
Featured image of students along Main Street at UC taken by UC Creative + Brand.
‘College Tour’ spotlight: Grace Hertlein
January 26, 2022
Grace Hertlein is one of 10 alumni and students featured in UC’s episode of “The College Tour,” an Amazon Prime series that features universities from across the country.
Innovate Healthcare: How AI changes radiologists' approach to...
January 26, 2022
Innovate Healthcare featured comments from University of Cincinnati radiologists Achala Vagal and Luca Saba in an article about the future of how artificial intelligence can help move stroke care forward.
Reuters Health: COVID vaccine proved safe, well tolerated in...
January 25, 2022
The University of Cincinnati's Dr. Wenhai Shao, PhD, was featured in a Reuters Health article reviewing a study of COVID-19 vaccines' effect on patients with rheumatic and musculoskeletal diseases.