MD (Allopathic Medicine) & DO (Osteopahtic Medicine) associations
- Visit the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) page for a guide to navigating your journey from pre-med to residency.
- The American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine (AACOM) offers resources for how to become an osteopathic physician.
Explore MD-DO/PhD programs
- Science Magazine FAQ for MD/PhD
- AAMC FAQ for MD-PhD
- APSA (American Physician Scientists Association) FAQ for MD/DO-PhD Applicants:
- APSA audio discussion on MSTP Applications (2017)
- APSA Interactive Sessions
- FAQs & table of schools
- Choose DO Video Series:
Exploring the field of medicine
- ExploreHealthCareers.org is a great resource for learning about health-related careers, education and training, health education events, issues in health care and MUCH more.
- Medical Career Paths: Explore all of your medical career options to see what could be a good fit.
- DoctorsThatDO.org: Find Doctors of Osteopathic Medicine in your area and consider reaching out to them for shadowing opportunities.
- AAMC Pre-med Navigator Newsletter includes information, resources, tips, and more to help you on your path to medical school
- AAMC - Great Summer Pre-Med Reads
- Medical School Headquarters: medicalschoolhq.net
- Aspiring Docs provides resource and inspiration to help you get started on your path to medicine.
- Prospectivedoctor.com is a great source for interesting articles, checklists, summer research opportunities and useful tools for pre-med students.
- Shadowing is required by many schools. We encourage you to shadow your own primary care physician as well as additional health care specialists. Ask your physician for suggestions/referrals. Also, visit the AAMC site on Getting Experience.
- If you are interested in applying to osteopathic medical school you must shadow an osteopathic (DO) doctor.
Diversity - Programs for underrepresented groups in healthcare
- Summer Health Professions Education Program (SHPEP)
- Cincinnati Children's Hospital Biomedical Research Internship for Minority Students
- The BRIMS program offers an outstanding science training opportunity for Cincinnati area graduating high school seniors and college freshmen.
- Many more opportunities listed on our Experiential Learning Opportunities page for a full list.
- Point Foundation - pointfoundation.org/ - The Point Foundation “empowers promising lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer students to achieve their full academic and leadership potential,” and has provided scholarships to LGBTQ medical students.
Financing medical school
- Financial aid options from the AAMC - Fee Assistance Program
- Diversity scholarships -- reviewed and compiled by AAMC Committee on Community and Diversity. Find resources for under-represented minorities, students with disabilities, women, veterans and more.
- AAMC FIRST program (Financial Information, Resources, Services and Tools)
- Click for Financial Aid options for the AACOM including Programs and Funding opportunities. AACOMAS also offers an Application Fee Waiver which allows financially disadvantaged applicants to become DO’s too.
- Medical Student Financial Services -- University of Cincinnati College of Medicine
- The AAMC has some guidelines and instructions for students applying to medical school as an international applicant.
Applying to medical school
- PPAC application workshops for upcoming professional school applicants.
- All medical schools require the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) as part of the application process
- Medical School Admissions Requirement (MSAR) online database that enables you to browse, search, sort, and compare information about medical schools and programs.
- The AAMC offers a wealth of information for pre-med students interested in allopathic medicine and is the portal for the American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS).
- The AACOM offers a wealth of information for pre-med students interested in osteopathic medicine and is the portal for the American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine Application Service (AACOMAS).
Opportunities at UC
- Learn about volunteer opportunities through the Center for Community Engagement.
- Internship opportunities are available through the Pre-Health Internship Program offered through the Division of Experience-Based Learning and Career Education.
- Get involved in research
- Pre-Med student organizations