Based on the changes to federal and state health guidance, UC is making the following adjustments, to go into effect June 15, the date for Phase 1 of the Return to Workplace.
Fully vaccinated: Individuals who have been fully vaccinated are no longer required to wear a facial covering or social distance while on campus except, per CDC guidance, on buses, e.g., UC shuttle. Note that individuals are fully vaccinated 14 days after their final dose of vaccine.
Unvaccinated: Individuals who have not been fully vaccinated are required to wear a facial covering and maintain social distancing when indoors except when eating/drinking or alone in a private room or office. Unless fully vaccinated or otherwise legally exempt, all individuals are required to wear facial coverings when indoors (except when eating, drinking, or alone in a private room). Individuals who are not wearing a facial covering are attesting to compliance with this requirement.
When outdoors, those who are not fully vaccinated are required to maintain 6 feet social distancing. Moreover, unvaccinated individuals are required to wear facial covering when outdoors and unable to maintain 6 feet of social distancing.
Shared office/work areas: We will currently continue to plan for 6-feet social distancing for all shared office and workspaces where individuals are or may be sharing space for an entire work shift or day; and to space tables in campus eateries and dining facilities as dining opportunities are the most likely inflection points for exposure and spread in the workplace.
Please note that for those who are not fully vaccinated, this 6-foot rule applies to open spaces between people but does not apply if a barrier is in place. Barriers (being in an enclosed office or room) do suffice for distancing. Thus, members of the campus community who are not fully vaccinated can be less than 6 feet apart if an office or room wall, plexiglass partition or other barrier is between them to effectively stop the spread of droplets.
- If social distancing at 6 feet is an impediment to full staffing in your unit, managers and lab leaders may contact Planning + Design + Construction for assistance in reviewing and determining any build, space or physical modifications. Floor plans for campus locations and space dimensions can be found on the space management COVID webpage. The first point of contact for questions or consultation on space is Jamie Accurso, Director of Planning, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- No assessment is needed if employees have a private workspace, such as an enclosed office.
- If current spaces are not compliant with required distancing, this can be resolved with adaptations such as:
- Rearrangement of workstations, desks, furniture, etc.
- Installation of barriers, such as a plexiglass partitions.
- Staggered shifts among the employees, combined with daily cleaning and sanitizing by employees on such staggered shifts within a shared spaced.