University of Cincinnati graduates have worked hard and accomplished much. As such, Commencement offers a time for family and friends to gather to celebrate you! It represents the end of a chapter and the start of a new one as an alumnus of this great institution. Commencement also marks the last time the entire graduating class will be together, in one place, at one time. This year, that significance is heightened as the Class of 2017 graduates in the heart of UC’s campus — Nippert Stadium. This will be us, together one last time.
Once we knew Fifth Third Arena was going to be renovated, the Senior Class Officers and Undergraduate Student Government collected student feedback, which ultimately influenced decisions made about the Spring 2017 ceremony. Students’ voices were heard, and thus the decision to hold the ceremony on campus at Nippert Stadium was made. Did you know UC’s commencement was held at Nippert Stadium for most of the 20th century? We are excited to relive this tradition once again!
This April’s ceremony continues the tradition of reading graduate names aloud as they cross the stage to receive personal congratulations from the President. Your congratulatory handshake with President Pinto will be captured by a photographer. There will be fanfare throughout and the use of the stadium scoreboard will allow your guests to easily see you enter the stadium. Several other plans are in the works to make this day exceptional. It will be unlike anything you have seen before and we are certain you will enjoy the memorable experience.
There’s even more to look forward to this year than ever before:
- Immediately following the ceremony, graduates and their guests are invited to attend a reception.
- All graduates will receive a newly-designed diploma cover at Commencement.
- Grad Fest, a two-day event, will be a one-stop-shop to take care of Commencement needs on March 7-8. The event will be held from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. at the UC Bookstore in Tangeman University Center. If you would like to record a thank you message to your family and friends to be played on the stadium scoreboard prior to the Commencement ceremony, this is the time to do it!
- The Seniors with Might & Main Campaign will fund this year’s senior class gift, which is a Unity Garden located between the AACRC and the Fifth Third plaza. You can make a contribution by viewing the Senior Class website at http://www.uc.edu/seniorclass/gift.html.
- A new tradition, the Senior Stride will mark the last walk “Down the Drive” as a senior class, with a candlelight processional April 27 at 9 p.m.
To learn more about commencement, use the menu on the left.
To learn more about the senior class officers, visit uc.edu/seniorclass.
We look forward to celebrating together, one last time, on April 29, 2017. The ceremonies will be held:
- 9 a.m., Doctoral Hooding and Master’s Recognition Ceremony at UC Nippert Stadium
- 2 p.m., Bachelor’s and Associate’s Commencement Ceremony at UC Nippert Stadium
Senior Class Officers
Student Body President
Undergraduate Student Government
Debra Merchant, JD
Division of Student Affairs