Skip to main content
Skip to main content

Current Students

How Does Exploratory Work?

  • Students are assigned an exploratory advisor who will guide them through the journey of finding a best-fit major. CES advisors will get to know their students on a personal level in order to tailor services and tools to meet each student's academic needs. 

Discovering UC Course

  • Discovering UC (MLTI-1075) is a 3 credit hour course designed to help first-year exploratory students choose their best-fit major. In this class, students are given the opportunity to explore all majors, programs, and services offered at UC with step by step guidance from exploratory advisors who serve as the instructors of this course. MLTI-1075 is available in both the fall and spring semesters (with a service learning component offered during the spring semester). 

Major Mentors

  • Exploratory students may meet with a UC student (a Major Mentor) in a declared major to find out more about that particular major. In this process exploratory students will get a declared student's perspective regarding what the major is, what it entails, and how they like it, etc. Click here to inquire about receiving a Major Mentor. 
  • Any baccalaureate student from across UC can serve as a Major Mentor for their declared major as long as they have a 2.5 GPA or higher.  To serve as a major mentor, please click here to download and complete the application (accepted throughout the year).

Learning Communities

  • Learning communities allow exploratory students with shared academic interests to take university courses together as a cohesive group.  Research shows that participation in learning communities promotes academic success and fosters relationship building with university faculty members and classmates.  See our 2015-2016 Learning Communities offerings.

How to Declare a Major

  • Declaring a major is an exciting time!  Students declaring their major in the College of Arts and Sciences may do so on the Arts and Sciences website (see link below).  Students declaring a major outside the College of Arts and Sciences will need to fill out a “Change of College” form (see link below) and submit the form to the new college.  Make sure to check in with your exploratory advisor when officially declaring a major since some application processes require additional steps. 

Frequently Asked Questions