Pre-Pharmacy is a major, but it is not a degree-granting program. The pre-pharmacy curriculum consists of required prerequisites for the University of Cincinnati James L. Winkle College of Pharmacy. The pre-pharmacy curriculum is rigorous, with additional non-academic expectations upon applying to pharmacy school.
PPAC advisors work with students to ensure proper course selections and serve as a resource for academic and non-academic success to help shape students into competitive applicants for pharmacy school.
What does it mean to be a pre-pharmacy student?
- You have the desire to become a pharmacist.
- You are taking courses required by the pharmacy schools to which you hope to apply (two years or longer, depending on the school).
- You are working with the PPAC by attending workshops and advising sessions.
- You are exploring the field through employment or observation at a
pharmacy,and by investigating alternative career options.
- You are investigating admissions expectations of various colleges of pharmacy.
The curriculum for the pre-pharmacy major at UC consists of 78 semester hours and may take approximately three (3) years to complete.
- View the Pre-Pharmacy curriculum guide
- Visit the UC James L. Winkle College of Pharmacy website for additional details.
- Students who select a major other than pre-pharmacy but still intend to apply to pharmacy college will complete the same required pre-pharmacy curriculum/prerequistes in order to apply for admission to the UC College of Pharmacy.
BIS-Pharmacy (Bachelor of Interdisciplinary Studies-Pharmacy)
This degree path is designed for students who will complete an interdisciplinary liberal arts bachelors degree in addition to the Pharm-D degree. Students will complete all the pre-pharm requirements in three years along with making progress on degree requirements so that they will be on track to complete a BA degree at the end of the fourth year (which coincides with the first professional year in the UC College of Pharmacy).
- Read more about this option on the McMicken College of Arts & Sciences website.
UC Clifton/Uptown West Pre-Pharmacy advisors: Doe Gavin and Veronica Joiner
- Pre-Pharmacy advisors in the PPAC serve as the primary advisors for the pre-pharmacy major on the Uptown/Clifton campus.
- Freshman Mandatory Advising: Freshmen must register for and attend a mandatory advising workshop in the fall and spring semesters.
UC Blue Ash Pre-Pharmacy advisors: Visit UCBA website to find Pre-Pharmacy advisors
UC Clermont Pre-Pharmacy advisor: Pilar Ramos-Richey, MEd