Advising is a partnership. Therefore, there are things we both need to do to make it a productive partnership. Here are 5 Advising tips to help us both be our best!
1) Prepare for the appointment. I should review your academic record and notes. You should call ahead if you need to cancel, prepare questions ahead of time etc.
2) We both should be present for the appointment…put away cell phones, take notes. We should both talk openly in the advising sessions. I should ask questions and you should be prepared to answer questions.
3) Don’t wait for the last minute to ask for help. I should be sending you resources and you should be proactive in taking advantage of them.
4) Be patient. Problems that need to be resolved require patience and professionalism on both of our parts. We should use etiquette in our written and oral communications to each other and others involved.
5) Follow-up. Let’s keep each other in the loop on things. I care about your success and want to celebrate the small wins with you along the way.