There are a variety of support services available to you if you report an incident to the university. For a full list of services, please review the Services page of this website. For more information on interim measures, refer to the Office of Gender Equity & Inclusion website.

There are options for you to consider. Based on what is reported, the Office of Gender Equity & Inclusion may evaluate the reported incident and issue a Mutual No Contact Order (MNCO). A MNCO limits both you and the other person from contacting each other. If either party chooses to violate this order, they may face sanctions through the university's conduct system.

In addition, you can receive help from law enforcement and/or the court. Even without a formal report to law enforcement, students may be eligible for legal court orders that can provide a higher level of protection, which include restraining orders and stalking orders. If you would like more information on this, contact:

Campus-Based Confidential Advocates
Crime Victim Services Coordinator


The university takes steps to ensure that information is only shared as necessary on a need-to-know basis, and the primary goal will be to help provide support and services to you. Students 18 years or older are protected by FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act), which means that the university cannot disclose information about your report to your family or friends without your written consent; however, the university is obligated to comply with the Ohio Public Records Act. 

In order for the university to implement or address supportive measures based on your request or the university's need to keep the community safe, a professor or administrator may be notified and minimal information may be shared with those parties as needed.

You have the right to feel safe in attending your classes. If you share classes or any other university-affiliated activity with the other person involved, the Office of Gender Equity & Inclusion can evaluate the appropriate response. If you prefer, the Office of Gender Equity & Inclusion can provide assistance in changing your schedule  or offering other supportive measures. In order for the university to implement or address supportive measures based on your request or the university's need to keep the community safe, a professor or administrator may be notified and minimal information may be shared with those parties as needed. 

Yes! A student is NOT required to provide additional or identifying information about the incident or participate in a university investigation in order to receive supportive measures. One exception is a Mutual No Contact Order, since the identities of the parties receiving the order would need to be known in order to be effectively enforced.

If the person who did this is not affiliated with the University of Cincinnati, the university's response to the report of an incident will primarily rely on providing services to the student. However, there may be some additional options, and we recommend that the student reaches out to the Office of Gender Equity & Inclusion to explore their options. 

If you are over the age of 18, you have the right to choose if you want to press criminal charges or participate in the student conduct proceedings. While the university does have a legal obligation to investigate, you have the right to not participate in the investigation. In cases where the survivor chooses not to provide more information to the university's investigation, there are circumstances where the university has an obligation to proceed with student conduct violation charges without the cooperation of the survivor in order to protect the safety of the campus community.

Yes, you can report anonymously. It is your right to report the incident anonymously to the university or law enforcement if you do not want to be involved in an investigation.

This option allows you to report information about the incident without identifying yourself. Based solely on an anonymous report, the university or the UC Police Department may not be able to pursue action against the other person involved if the report does not contain personal identifiable information or enough evidence to proceed. However, the report can help provide vital information that can be used to identify perpetrators and patterns of their behavior(s); for example, if there have been numerous incidents with the same person, that is something that law enforcement or the Office of Gender Equity & Inclusion may deem significant. If you choose to pursue action against this person you also have the option to report the incident to the university or law enforcement at a later date.

If you choose to report anonymously, you are encouraged to seek safety planning from a confidential resource, if deemed necessary.

Yes, there are multiple confidential places on campus that can provide you with assistance. 

Campus-Based Advocates are located in 559 Steger Student Life Center and can be reached at 513-556-4418 or UC@womenhelpingwomen.org even when classes are not in session. For after-hours confidential advocate support call/text the Women Helping Women 24/7 hotline at 513-381-5610. The Advocates are also available to visit branch campuses. 

UC Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) and University Health Services also provide confidential services on the Uptown/Clifton campus. Confidential services are available at the Compass Counseling Center at Clermont and at Counseling Services at Blue Ash.

Women Helping Women is a community organization that serves survivors of gender-based violence by providing assistance with off-campus hospital accompaniment, legal proceedings, and support groups. You can contact Women Helping Women 24/7 at 513-381-5610 or toll-free at 1-877-889-5610. The Campus-Based Advocate number is 513-556-4418. 

The YWCA of Greater Cincinnati also provides services to survivors of gender-based violence including crisis line assistance, shelter services, and court advocacy. 

The Campus-Based Advocates  (confidential) and the Office of Gender Equity & Inclusion (non-confidential) can help you navigate policies, procedures, and resources on campus. 

You can contact the Campus-Based Advocates on campus at 513-556-4418.The community organization Women Helping Women can provide assistance with off-campus hospital accompaniment, legal proceedings, and support groups. You can call/text WHW 24/7 at 513-381-5610 or toll-free at 1-877-889-5610.

The Office of Gender Equity & Inclusion can also refer you to other resources on and off campus as needed. They can be reached at 513-556-3349 or titleix@uc.edu