Frequently Asked Questions

Yes. Any changes to your schedule must be reported to the VPS Office immediately. Failure to do so could result in you having to repay the VA for any overpayments made to your account.

Yes. The extra funds may be the result of an overpayment and if asked, you may be required to repay the funds.

All waivers are processed online through Gallagher.  For assistance with your waiver, please call Gallagher at 1-888-538-6474.  For all other concerns, please contact the student health insurance office at 513-556-6868.

The Yellow Ribbon Program allows UC to partner with the VA to contribute funds to our veterans' unmet tuition and fee charges when their tuition and fees charges exceed the amount payable under Chapter 33. UC can contribute up to 50 percent of veterans' unmet costs; the Department of Veterans Affairs will match the amount.

Learn more about the Yellow Ribbon Program.

Aboslutely! If you are a Veteran or Dependent of a Veteran, you can rest easy knowing that the University of Cincinnati supports the Veterans Benefits and Transition Act of 2018.

Visit our benefits page to learn if you are eligible for and what options would be best suited for you. The page contains information regarding several Veteran Benefit programs including Montgomery GI Bill, Vocational Rehab, Post 9/11, and others.

Please take advantage of the Early Registration windows and finalize your schedule as early as possible.

To be eligible for monthly Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) payment you must be registered (excluding independent study or online classes) at more than the half-time VA pay rate. You are not eligible for BAH or Book/Supply payments if you are still considered "In-service".

Spouses that are still "In-service" are not eligible for BAH or Book/Supply payments.

Book/Supply pay is limited to $1000 per school year and is paid based upon the number of credit hours of enrollment. 

You get 36 months of full-time entitlement under most GI Bill® programs.  In most cases your entitlement is charged according to your training time.  Therefore, if you are training fulltime for 4 months you use up 4 months of entitlement, likewise if you are training at 1/2 time for 4 months you use up 2 months of entitlement.

BAH pay is issued at the end of each month once the VA has processed the school's enrollment certification based on credit hours and the State of Ohio cap.

We will issue refund checks to students for any surplus tuition/fee amount after the school has received payment from the VA.

Chapter # 33 students do not have to "verify your enrollment" with the VA at the end of each month to release BAH payment.

You must notify our office at the beginning of your final term of eligibility of your Chapter #33 benefits.

The maximum benefit you can receive is 48 months of full-time VA benefits with any combination of "chapters."

All scholarships or federal aid restricted to tuition and fees must be reported.  The VA is to be the "last to pay" on your student bill so all aid must be considered before we will certify you for benefits.  This includes ROTC scholarships, "TA" pay, etc.

Students receiving the Ohio National Guard Scholarship have these VA benefits applied to their bill first (once processed for the term) and any surplus Guard Scholarship payment will be returned to the unit.

Nearly all students are eligible for some form of financial assistance. According to the Financial Aid website, over 90% of the students who applied for financial aid in recent years received an award offer. You can apply for financial aid today and learn if you qualify. In addition to the application, the Financial Aid website provides great information if you're interested in learning more about the qualifications and the processes that you go through.

Note: financial aid cannot be awarded to students until they have been offered admission to the university.

If you reduce your pay rate during a term, you will owe the appropriate tuition/fee money back to the VA - along with any BAH paid for the months following that date.

Students that create a debt with the VA (overpayment) will have the debt amount deducted from their BAH checks if not promptly repaid.

The "X" grade represents enrollment with no participation in the class.  Students that receive all "X" grades for a term will owe the school all of the tuition/fee money since the school is required to return that money to the VA.

If you are called to active duty during the semester, the first thing you should do is inform your instructor and contact the VPS Office at 513-556-6811, or by email at vetcert@uc.edu. We would also need a copy of your orders to help expidite the class withdrawl process.

*It is the responsibility of the student to inform campus parking and university housing (if applicable), or their landlord, about the student's call to active duty. Failure to do so may cause the student to have an outstanding balance on their account.*


Tuition and fees are based on the specific college that you choose.

Please click on the University of Cincinnati Tuition and Fees page.


If you need to estimate how much it may cost for you to attend the University of Cincinnati, please click on the Net Price Calculator.

Per VA regulations, GI Bill funding can not be used to pay for the Non-Resident Surcharge. If you have a Non-Resident Surcharge over $250.00, you may be eligible for the Yellow Ribbon Scholarship. Please reach out to our office to determine eligibility.