OH, IN, & KY Residency for Tuition Purposes

Students living in Ohio, Indiana, and Kentucky may be eligible for specific tuition rates. International students may have additional requirements.

Students wishing to pay in–state tuition must apply to be reclassified as an Ohio resident for tuition purposes and meet the eligibility requirements established by Ohio State Law and the Ohio Department of Higher Education.

There are two discounted tution rates available to Indiana residents who meet the criteria: Indiana Reciprocity and Indiana Metropolitan Rate. Each rate has specific requirements based on both the residential county in Indiana and the program in which you are enrolled.

Depending upon your residential county in Kentucky—and the program in which you are enrolled—there are four rates available to Kentucky residents:

  • Kentucky Metropolitan Rate
  • Kentucky Reciprocity Rate
  • Kentucky County Metropolitan Rate
  • Kentucky Reciprocity for Maysville Community College Students from Select Counties Who Are Enrolled In UC Clermont College Degree Programs

International Student Eligibility

Eligible Visas

Permanent resident aliens, political refugees or asylees, those under the DACA program, and students who hold the following visas—A, E, G, H, I, K, L, N, O, P, R, S, T, TD, TN, U, and V— are eligible to apply for the Ohio, Kentucky, and Indiana residency programs, when all other residency requirements are met. 

Ineligible Visas

International students who hold B, C, D, F, J, M, or Q visas are not eligible for in-state residency or any of the Kentucky or Indiana programs.*


International Students who hold B, F, J, K , M or U visas are not eligible for establishing in-state residency, unless they are financially dependent upon a spouse or parent who is an Ohio resident according to the residency eligibility criteria established by Ohio Revised Code 3333.31 and Ohio Administrative Code 3333-1-10.

“Financially dependent on a parent” is defined as having been claimed on the parent's federal tax return in the most recent tax year.

“Financial dependence upon a spouse” is proven with a marriage certificate.

In addition, the student must also have applied to adjust their status to an eligible status for the Ohio, Kentucky, and Indiana residency programs.

Questions? Please email us at resid@uc.edu!