Selective Service Registration

Ohio Revised Code 3345.32 mandates that Ohio students who are required to register with the US Selective Service—but have not done so—are ineligible for state of Ohio tuition subsidy. Under the law, Ohio institutions of higher learning are required to charge such students the non-resident tuition rate.


Almost all male US citizens, regardless of where they live, and male immigrants, whether documented or undocumented, residing in the United States, who are 18 through 25 years of age, are required to register with Selective Service within 30 days of their eighteenth birthdays.

For complete information regarding who must register for Selective Service and exemptions, or to register with Selective Service, please visit the US Government Official Selective Service System website.

Student Responsibilities

To continue your Ohio-resident-for-tuition-purposes classification, UC is required to obtain your Selective Service Registration Number. You may submit your registration number by completing the UC Registrar's Office Selective Service Registration Statement.

If you are already registered, but you do not remember your Selective Service Registration Number, you can obtain it at the official Selective Services website.

It is the student's responsibility to provide the UC Office of the Registrar with that number. If you do not provide that registration number to the Office of the Registrar, UC must assess non-resident tuition fees to your tuition bill.

Students are expected to make full payment by their appropriate payment due date. Payment deadlines may not be waived or extended while a student's residency status is under review or while you are waiting to receive your Selective Service Registration Number.


  • Students under the age of 18
  • Students born before 1960
  • Students on active duty with the armed forces of the United States excluding training in a reserve or National Guard unit
    • Must provide a Leave and Earnings Statement
  • Non-immigrant alien students lawfully in the United States in accordance with Section 101(A) (15) of the Immigration and Nationality Act U.S.C.
  • Permanent residents of the Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands or the Northern Mariana Islands and I am not a citizen of the United States
  • Students assigned female at birth
  • Students over the age of 26 or became a permanent resident of the United States after the age of 26

Questions? Please email us at!