Counseling and Psychological Services
24 Hour Crisis Helpline 513-556-0648
Students and members of the UC community concerned about students have access to mental health crisis care and consultation 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Our crisis line provides care 24/7 while we are closed for in-person services. You may call our direct number at 513-556-0648 and press 1, to speak with a counselor.
*Message to Our Community*
As the State of Ohio and the University of Cincinnati acts to keep our community safe in response to COVID-19, CAPS has transitioned to all virtual services to support the health and well-being of staff and students. In response to the ongoing violence towards the Black community, we have expanded our trauma services and drafted a staff commitment to anti-racisism, equity, and inclusion. We are here for the Bearcat community during this difficult time.
Fall 2020 Services
At UC CAPS we prioritize accessible and effective services that you can access when you need them. We take a collaborative, strengths based approach to help you identity tools, resources, and strategies to meet your mental health goals. This might only take one meeting, or it might take a little more support. Either way, we’re here to help you on your Bearcat journey.
If you are a UC student accessing services in Ohio, call CAPS to schedule a 30-minute phone or videoconferencing session. While CAPS can't provide telemental health services outside of Ohio, there are a lot of options to support and consultation about your mental wellness goals if you are out of state. Check out our online mental wellness resources section below for more information.
During this meeting with a counselor, you will discuss your mental health goals and develop a support plan for your immediate needs. You and your counselor will decide together what the best next steps are for you. This might look like trying out online self-help resources, calling for another same day session if needed, trying out a virtual support group, scheduling a brief follow-up appointment to check-in on your progress, or starting short-term individual therapy.
CAPS is a great fit for a lot of student’s mental health needs, but sometimes more support is needed. If CAPS brief telemental health services will not help you meet your goals, our care management team can provide support in helping you connect with community resources.
If you are returning to CAPS for support, you will be able to schedule a time to speak directly with a clinician at CAPS. This call will be focused on talking about your current needs and identifying what resources to help connect you with at CAPS or in the community.
Most of our services are free! Please visit our fees and insurance page for a list of services that may have some costs. We provide fee waivers for many student groups, including students with financial concerns.
Online Mental Wellness Resources
- Racial Trauma Resources - A collection of information and campus and community resources for race based stress and trauma.
- Let's Talk - A free virtual consultation program which provides easy access to conversations with clinicians from CAPS. This service is available for all UC students, located anywhere, who may not need traditional counseling, but could still benefit from one-on-one support.
- Wellness Workshops - Join CAPS for free WebEx workshops on topics related to mental and emotional wellness. You can register for any of these workshops on our Campus Link page.
- Therapy Assistance Online -TAO is a free interactive, web-based self-help program that provides online and mobile tools to help you overcome the day to day challenges around stressors like anxiety, depression, or other concerns.
- Student Wellness Center Virtual Resources - A collection of virtual resources, apps, websites, podcasts, articles and more to help you maintain your health and wellness.
- Reach Out - A free app available for smart phones that provides a wealth of information about mental health and suicide prevention for the UC community.
- Twitter - Follow us on Twitter to get updates about CAPS services and information about mental health resources.
Location, Hours, and Contact Information
Our campus office at 225 Calhoun Street is currently closed to the public. Our business hours are from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday and we close for lunch at noon. On Wednesday, we are open from 1:00 pm -7:00 pm. If you would like to leave a message for your current therapist, please call our main number at (513) 556-0648 and select "2" to leave a message. Your therapist will return your call as soon as possible. Please ensure that your voicemail is set up and not full. Please note, CAPS follows university closure policy.