Alternative Format Request Policy and Procedure
Accessibility Resources provides alternative formats for course materials to registered students. If you receive the Alternative Format accommodation, follow the procedure outlined on this page to request accessible documents for your courses.
Accessibility Resources provides alternative formats for required and recommended course documents. These documents can be textbooks, journal articles/scholarly articles, and other text materials required for the completion of your course. The content must meet the following criteria:
- Must be required (or recommended) for the completion of a course, as evidenced by the relevant syllabus (provided by the student upon request)
- Proof of purchase is required
- If you no longer have proof of purchase, you must offer your physical copy of the material to be converted, for a process which will destroy your book
- We cannot guarantee rented textbooks
- If an alternative version (such as ePUB, Kindle, or App Store) of the material is available for sale, we strongly recommend purchasing/renting, as this will reduce the potential for delays in providing your materials and may result in better quality course materials
- Materials will only be distributed once per request. If the recipient loses their copy, they must complete another alternative format request
- If materials are available through the University of Cincinnati Library, such as journal articles or magazines, please contact the Assistive Technology Specialist directly
Alternative formats can be provided in one of three formats:
- Searchable Text Document – This format may be a PDF or Word document (Word documents may appear differently than the original content). These documents will be digital text, and will be searchable. This content is intended to be used by basic text-to-speech software.
- Screen Reader Accessible – This format may be a PDF or Word document and will have accessible markup and will be accessible to most advanced screen readers. If you select this option, you may be contacted by the Assistive Technology Specialist to determine the best format to meet your needs.
- ePUB – This format arrives as an ePUB that may be used with an eReader software such as iBooks. This format may be provided if “Searchable Text Document” is selected, but a PDF or Word document is not available. It often does not include images, and should be used in conjunction with your physical document.
Please submit your alternative requests at least two weeks prior to the semester beginning, or two weeks prior to the assignment of the reading. It may take two to four weeks to receive alternative formats. For longer content, you may receive content in sections, to ensure you have the content you need based on the course schedule provided in your syllabus. Accessibility Resources can assist you with acquiring or utilizing any Assistive Technology required to access materials.
In order to request an alternative format request for your materials you must complete an Alternative Format Request form for each document. The form must be filled out completely. Failing to complete the form could result in a delay in providing your materials.
- Begin the process as soon as you are registered in your class. Required texts are often available as soon as you are able to enroll in a course. Requesting alternative formats late or after the start of the semester could result in delays!
- Complete the Alternative Format Request Form for each book and/or article you may need.
- Provide a copy of your syllabus for the course indicating that the material requested is required for an academic course.
- If you are requesting a textbook, you must submit a receipt indicating proof of purchase. You may upload the Proof of purchase when completing the Alternative Format Request Form, or you may Email, fax, or hand deliver receipts to accessibility Resources at the following addresses:
- Email Accessibility Resources Assistive Technology Specialist: Mitchell Jones
- Fax: (513) 556-1838 - ATTN: Textbook Receipts from (Your Name)
- Mailing Address: Accessibility Resources Office, University of Cincinnati, 210 University Pavilion, P.O. Box 210213, Cincinnati, OH 45221-0213
- The Assistive Technology Specialist will contact you via your UC email address when your content is available. Your content will be provided through a UC BOX download link. Follow the link and choose direct download.
- Your content should now be in an accessible format. If you require assistive technology to utilize your content, please contact Accessibility Resources and request to meet with the Assistive Technology specialist
NOTE: We cannot complete the process for creating/researching textbooks in digital format if we do not have The items listed in steps 2, 3, and 4. We must have all three items to provide your digital textbooks
Use of this accommodation provides the student with an alternative format of copyright material. This material is for the sole use of the recipient for the academic accommodation of the specified course. Any misuse, alteration of, or distribution of this copyright material to anyone other than the original recipient may be a violation of copyright law. The original recipient of the accommodation will be in violation of the Student Code of Conduct, and may be subject to punishment.