Lead Tutor Leadership Program
I love everything! The connections, learning, and relationships are amazing.
Bearcat Buddies piloted a Lead Tutor Program during the 2018-2019 school year. 30 leaders met biweekly to learn from guest speakers and develop content for the general tutors in the program. Friendships formed, and the quality of the Bearcat Buddies experience was enriched for tutors and tutees alike.
The Bearcat Buddies Lead Tutor Leadership Program is always looking for the next cohort of student leaders to contribute their talents and creativity.
Bearcat Buddies Lead Tutors will:
- Be the primary point of contact for tutors in their session, serving as a liaison between the tutors, the Center for Community Engagement, and GRAD Cincinnati representatives
- Attend Lead Tutor Training and six Lead Tutor Meetings
- Serve on one of the following committees: Social Media, Recruitment & Retention, Program Sustainability, or the Bearcat Buddies Alumni Group.
- Facilitate training during the first meeting for the tutors in their session and answer tutors’ questions
- Facilitate a focus group with tutors during CPS's spring break
- Be familiar with their school and its tutoring program
- Manage sign-in sheets, folders, and other materials as needed during tutoring sessions
- Monitor the tutoring calendar, taking note of snow days, holidays, school breaks, etc.
- Introduce a new tutoring strategy every week in the van
- Check in with tutors on the way back to UC
- Foster a sense of community among tutors in their group
- Follow up with tutors who are absent and encourage accountability
- Communicate feedback regularly to CCE
Maximum 4 hours per week including regular tutoring sessions
Social Media: Increase the brand awareness of Bearcat Buddies through the presence of social media and integrating social media takeovers.
Recruitment & Retention: Focus on tutor engagement by building a “toolbox” to recruit and retain Bearcat Buddies.
Program Sustainability: Serves to help look at resources and community collaborations to sustain program operations.
Bearcat Buddies Alumni Group: Serves to build a community of Bearcat Buddies Alumni that will support each other’s current and future goals through networking and event participation.
2023 Lead Tutors
Samantha Hoffman is a 2nd year psychology student. She joined Bearcat Buddies because she loves working with kids and wanted to give back to the community.
Lisa is a 2nd year majoring in Speech Language Hearing Sciences and pursuing a minor in Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies and a certificate in Minority Health. She has been participating in Bearcat Buddies every semester since coming to UC.
Varad is earning a PhD in Mechanical Engineering, which he says isn't nearly as exciting as being a part of Bearcat Buddies and being able to help some of the sharpest minds of CPS.
Iyah is a 4th year Neuroscience student on a pre PA track. She has participated in Bearcat Buddies as a tutor for all 4 years at UC. This is her second year as a lead tutor.
Emily is a 2nd year student studying Middle Childhood Education. This is Emily’s first year as a lead tutor. She’s looking forward to working with the other tutors to provide the best experience for the students of Cincinnati.
Josh is a 3rd year biology student. He assists SAC and the UC spirit teams when not in classes or tutoring. He has been a tutor for 3 semesters with this being his first as a Lead.
Kaaviya is a Medical Sciences major and Philosophy minor. She has been with Bearcat Buddies since Fall 2021 and has volunteered to work with students spanning K-12 throughout most of her academic career.
Caden is a 2nd year at the University of Cincinnati where he studies Health Sciences on the PT track. Caden also works at Atheltico PT and is a CAHS ambassador.
Ikshitha is a 2nd year student studying Medical Sciences on a Pre-Med Track, with a minor in Spanish. She enjoys reading and drawing. Her goals include becoming a neonatologist or OBGYN and helping those in impoverished conditions.
Kylee is a Medical Sciences major graduating in 2025. She is excited to communicate with other tutors and form connections. Her goal is to help everyone feel comfortable and have the best experience possible.
Ishika is a 4th year Neuroscience student at UC with a minor in Psychology on Pre-med track. She loves helping others which brought her to Bearcat Buddies where she helps tutor students. She also loves to read books and watch movies.
Lauren is a 2nd year student at UC majoring in Communication with a minor in Marketing. She started Bearcat Buddies in the Spring of 2022 and this is her first year as a lead tutor.
Olivia is 2nd year Speech Language Hearing Sciences major. She is also a CAHS ambassador and involved in SLHS clubs like National Student Speech Language Hearing Association.
Rejenae is a 4th year Biochemistry major working towards certificates in Pre-Medicine and a minor in Health. Her favorite thing about Bearcat Buddies is seeing how excited the students are to work with her.