For most students, college is the first time they are living independently and making their own meal choices. To help with this transition and ensure access to healthy foods, our dining centers offer a wide selection of nutritious and delicious options to meet a variety of dietary needs and preferences.
In addition to traditional offerings, each center offers vegetarian, gluten-free and allergy-sensitive options. Even our grab-and-go locations offer healthy options for students in a hurry.
Sifting through the ever-changing health and nutrition recommendations is a challenge for everyone. UC Dining Services has a registered dietitian nutritionist on staff to help meal plan holders navigate the dining centers. We also offer health-and-wellness pop-up events each semester.
Build a Better Sandwich
- Bread - Choose whole wheat or whole grain for an extra boost of B vitamins and fiber.
- Protein - Choose low-sodium or reduced-sodium lunch meats when possible. If creating a plant-based sandwich, be sure to include a protein food such as peanut butter, hummus, bean spread, mock meat or tofu.
- Cheese - Enjoy cheese in moderation; opt for one slice on your sandwich instead of two.
- Spreads - Hummus, mustard, horseradish, fresh jam, pesto or tapenade cann all add flavor without adding extra saturated fat.
- Vegetables - Load up on veggies! Add fresh tomato slices, lettuce, cucumbers, onions, avocado or radishes.