Spirit Requirements for Feature Twirlers
About the Feature Twirlers at UC
The twirlers are a section of the Bearcat Spirit (Marching and Basketball/Pep) Band. By virtue of their role as highly visible and--to a degree--soloistic performers, they are honored by having their names announced at public performances along with the band directors and drum majors. Their mission is to visually represent the musical excellence of our band and entertain our fans through the traditional craft and innovative art of twirling.
Expectations of a UC Bearcat Bands Feature Twirler:
- Required skills
- 5 Spin - Gym
- 4 Spin Left
- 4 Spin Backhand
- 4 Spin Catch Back
- 1 Spin Double Illusion
- Double Walkover
- Grand Jete Walkover
- Low Contact Body Work
- Strong Body Work
- Entertainment Skills
- Commitment to be present at every function of the Bearcat Marching and Basketball Bands made known to you
- Well spoken, verbally and in writing
- Well groomed
- Confident posture, engaging eye contact, a cheerful disposition and facial expression
- Mature and befitting cognitive and emotional capabilities
- Emphasis on the good of the team and band over self-interest
- Willingness to learn, if new info
- How to count music
- How to read drill charts
- How to march at 8-to-5 step size
Feature Twirler Auditions 2023-24
Prospective new twirlers audition in a two-step process. Veterans interested in returning are exempt from step one.
Step 1: Candidate Review and Video Prescreening
- Due: Sunday, March 12, 2023
- Provide a twirling resume and headshot. The resume should outline your school band and competitive twirling career/performance experience, current and former coaches, and awards.
- Full Name
- Mobile Phone Number
- Personal, not School, Email Address
- Current acceptance status at the University of Cincinnati and major, if declared
- Three references for contact. Ideally, one each of a school administrator, band director, and coach.
- A statement describing why you plan on attending UC and why you want to be a member of the Bearcat Bands.
- Include a YouTube link (or other cloud-based format) of a live performance from a competition or non-competitive setting or, ideally, a combination of both. We are looking to see your highest skill set and your ability to perform for a crowd.
- Note the list of required skills at the top of this web page, but the performance of all of these in this video is not expected.
- Send all of the above in one email to Brittany Ziegler, Twirler Coach.
- Once materials have been received and reviewed, selected candidates will be invited to proceed with Step 2. All prospective twirlers will receive their response by Friday, March 17, 2023.
Step 2: Auditions and Interviews for Invited Finalists
Contact Brittany Ziegler, Twirler Coach.
- Occurs: Saturday, April 8, 2023
- Time: TBA
- Arrive wearing a warm-up outfit (can be over your performance costume) with performance hair and make-up complete.
- Change into a twirling costume (or simply remove the warm-up) and perform the following live on the UC campus. An outdoor, field turf location will be primary but if weather is severe an indoor location will be secondary.
- A 2-to-3 minute routine choreographed to music of your choice utilizing your strongest assets as a twirler. Body work, variety of catches, floor coverage, multiple baton work, musicality, and overall performance skills will be judged. Note the list of required skills listed at the top of this web page. It is expected all will be utilized in this routine.
- Down the field strut to a march (which can be school fight song) or other martial music. There is no time limit, but you should cover the length of a standard gym. This should include tosses with movement underneath them that you would use during a parade and moving across the football field.
- Change back into the warm-up outfit (or put it on over your costume), then participate in an interview to discuss your collegiate goals and desire to perform at the University of Cincinnati. If a veteran, a review of your past band participation, progress-to-degree status, and your public relations image will also occur.
- Final results will be announced by Friday, April 14, 2023.
|Tuesday, August 8, 2023||Feature Twirlers Preseason Camp begins||Move-in to residence halls & orientation at the Rockwern Band Center on UC Main Campus||All day|