Spirit Requirements for Winds
Woodwind and Brass Auditions 2024-25
Information that follows is specific to the Spirit Bands (Marching & Basketball). If you are interested in joining a Concert or Jazz Band, or to learn about other opportunities in the band program, email BearcatBands@ucmail.uc.edu or call 513-556-BAND to tell us about your interests and to introduce yourself.
In score order:
- The UC Band doesn't march flutes.
- All auditions use Clarinet 1 music. Later, part assignments are made based on the audition.
- The UC Band doesn't march bass clarinets.
- Alto Saxophone
- All auditions use Alto Sax 1 music. Later, part assignments are made based on the audition.
- Tenor Saxophone
- Baritone Saxophone
- A limited number are available in our inventory. If interested in marching bari, players are strongly encouraged to own their own.
- All auditions use Trumpet 1 music. Later, part assignments are made based on the audition.
- All auditions use Horn 1 music. Later, part assignments are made based on the audition.
- Trombone (Tenor)
- All auditions use Trombone 1 music. Later, part assignments are made based on the audition.
- If a member owns a bass trombone and is interested in marching it, this can be discussed at a later date.
- Baritone (BC)
- All baritone players in the UC Band are expected to play from bass clef music (or to learn how).
- Sousaphone (Tuba)
- A full-range chromatic scale, played stationary
- Three required selections linked below:
- Required selection #1: the UC fight song, Cheer Cincinnati, played stationary
- Required selection #2: the UC Alma Mater, played stationary
- Required selection #3: the rhythm patterns, played while marching
Submit a video performing the audition. There are specific instructions for the rhythm patterns on the part. Email a shareable link (cloud-based such as YouTube, Dropbox, or Google Drive) to Mr. Christopher Nichter, Band Director.
In the alternative, you are invited to visit us in person and perform some or all of your audition live. Contact the Band Office at 513-556-BAND or by email to schedule this, with any other questions, or to schedule an on-campus visit. We may also ask you to come perform some or all of your audition in person.
The priority deadline for audition submissions is Friday, July 12, 2024. If you are receiving this information after this date or have extenuating circumstances that prohibit sending a video, please email for assistance. There are still opportunities to join. We look forward to hearing from you!
A survey to help us better gauge your understanding of music theory/general musicianship may be sent to you at a later date, but the result of this will have no bearing on your acceptance. It’s just for us to better get to know you as a musician.
|Tuesday, August 13, 2024
|New Wind Members Preseason Camp begins
|Move into residence halls this morning & orientation/rehearsal at Rockwern Band Center on UC Main Campus plus adjacent athletic fields
|Wednesday, August 14, 2024
|Returning Wind Members Preseason Camp begins