The George J. Mitchell Scholarship Program, named to honor former US Senator George Mitchell's pivotal contribution to the Northern Ireland peace process, is designed to introduce and connect generations of future American leaders to the island of Ireland, while recognizing and fostering intellectual achievement, leadership, and a commitment to community and public service. Up to twelve Mitchell Scholars between the ages of 18 and 30 are chosen annually for one academic year of postgraduate study in any discipline offered by institutions of higher learning in Ireland and Northern Ireland.
This award requires university endorsement. In order to apply, you must contact NCA by the Intent to Apply Deadline.
Having trouble writing an essay on your leadership skills?
Prestigious scholarships often ask for a leadership essay, but what does such an essay entail? NCA has recorded a webinar full of tips to help you craft a compelling leadership narrative for your application. Please watch our 30-minute Leadership Essay Webinar (be sure to view as a Slide Show for audio narration). Closed captions are available.
Campus Deadline: April 21, 2023
Application Opens: March 2023
National Deadline: September 28, 2023 @5PM ET
Applicants are judged on three criteria: scholarship, leadership, and a sustained commitment to community and public service. The Mitchell Scholarship Program provides tuition, accommodation, and a stipend (currently $1250 USD/month) for living expenses and travel for up to 12 months of post-graduate academic study on the island. Most programs run for nine months. Up to three additional months of summer stipend will be provided if residence on the island is required by the program of study (for a maximum of 12 months).
- Graduating seniors and recent alumni (must hold bachelor's degree by start of award)
- U.S. citizen
- At least 18 years old, but not yet 30, on September 27 of application year
Please refer to the Mitchell website for a detailed list of the eligibility criteria.
- A sustained commitment to community and public service
Please refer to the Mitchell website for a detailed description of the selection criteria.
- Background information
- Passport-style photo
- Personal statement
- University choice and field of study
- Letters of recommendation (4)
- In the spring, attend an NCA Learning Series session on the Mitchell Scholarship
- Schedule an advising appointment with Dr. Jenny Hyest through My Bearcat Network. In advance of that appointment, please:
- Complete two NCA forms:
- Intake form
- Records Release Form and submit to email@example.com
- Complete two NCA forms:
- Complete NCA Campus Endorsement Application by April 21, 2023
- Launch your online application. (Application opens Spring 2023)
- Endorsed candidates submit revised application by National Deadline: September 28, 2023 @5PM ET.
- Please note that you are prohibited from receiving feedback on your Personal Statement. No one—NCA, family, friends, writing center—may comment on or edit your essay.
- Information on this page is intended to supplement, not supplant, your own careful review of the official Mitchell website. If you find any discrepancy between the two, the Mitchell website takes precedence.
- UC’s Student Code of Conduct applies to this application process.