Marshall Scholarships finance young Americans of high ability to study for a degree in the United Kingdom. Up to forty Scholars are selected each year to study at graduate level at any UK institution in any field of study. As future leaders, with a lasting understanding of British society, Marshall Scholars strengthen the enduring relationship between the British and American peoples, their governments and their institutions. Marshall Scholars are talented, independent and wide-ranging, and their time as Scholars enhances their intellectual and personal growth. Their direct engagement with Britain through its best academic programmes contributes to their ultimate personal success.
This award requires university endorsement through a competitive campus process. In order to apply, you must contact NCA by the Intent to Apply Deadline.
Having trouble writing an essay on your leadership skills?
Prestigious scholarships often ask for a leadership essay, but what does such an essay entail? NCA has recorded a webinar full of tips to help you craft a compelling leadership narrative for your application. Please watch our 30-minute Leadership Essay Webinar (be sure to view as a Slide Show for audio narration). Closed captions are available.
Campus Deadline: April 21, 2023
Application Opens: May 26, 2023
National Deadline: September 26, 2023 @ 5PM
A Marshall Scholarship fully funds 1-2 years of graduate study at any institution of higher education in the United Kingdom. Funding covers tuition & fees, cost of living, a book allowance, research and travel grants, and the cost of travel between the US and the UK. There are several different ways to use the scholarship as explained by this routemap. With a few exceptions, any degree program at any institution of higher education can be funded by a Marshall Scholarship.
- U.S. citizen
- Minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.7 (no rounding up)
- Rising seniors may apply. Recent alumni or currently enrolled Master’s students who are within two years of bachelor’s graduation date may also apply.
- Must not have studied for or hold a degree from a British university
Please refer to the Marshall website for a detailed list of the eligibility criteria.
Marshall Scholars have the potential to excel as scholars, leaders, and contributors to improved UK-US understanding. They are mature, thoughtful, and curious, and they have a vision for how they will make a positive impact through their future studies and career. They have a strong record of meaningful leadership—they know how to get things done and why those things matter. They exhibit the three main selection criteria:
- Academic Merit
- Leadership Potential
- Ambassadorial Potential
Please refer to the Marshall website for detailed descriptions of the selection criteria.
- Background information
- 5 Essays
- Letters of recommendation (4): three academic references, one leadership reference
- In the spring, attend an NCA Learning Series session on the Marshall Scholarship
- Schedule an advising appointment with Dr. Jenny Hyest through My Bearcat Network. In advance of that appointment, please:
- Complete NCA Campus Endorsement Application by April 21, 2023.
- Launch your online application (application opens June 2023)
- Endorsed candidates submit revised application by National Deadline: September 26, 2023 @5PM.
- The Marshall Scholarship offers useful tools for finding eligible degree programs, including the Marshall course finder. There are many outstanding universities in the UK, so explore widely and find the programs that are right for you. NCA can offer advice throughout this process.
- Sample essays are available from NCA upon request.
- Competition for the Marshall Scholarship is keen, and it takes some time to put together a polished application. Not only do you want time to move through several drafts of your essays prior to the campus deadline (we recommend 4-5 drafts), you also need time to research graduate programs and the US-UK relationship in your field of study. The process will be much less stressful—and you will gain much more from it—if you give yourself ample time to work on it.
- Information on this page is intended to supplement, not supplant, your own careful review of the official Marshall website. If you find any discrepancy between the two, the Marshall website takes precedence.
- Though you should seek out others’ advice and feedback on your application, the essays should be your original work (no one should be writing your essays for you). UC’s Student Code of Conduct applies.
- Anna Armao - Marshall Scholarship Finalist, 2020