Nutrition and Fitness
- Request a Presentation - Our office provides several presentations on nutrition and fitness.
- RA Resources - Bulletin boards and posters available to RAs in our office.
Nutrition and fitness plays an integral role in staying healthy and giving your body the proper nutrients for it to perform at its best. Making healthy choices in terms of nutrition and exercise can help lower your risk for diseases such as obesity, diabetes, cardiovascular disease and high blood pressure. Begin developing healthy habits while in college so that they will become a part of your lifestyle in the future.
63% of UC students reported eating 1-2 servings of fruits and vegetables per day.
The Food Guide Pyramid nutrition model has changed and the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) now uses MyPlate to teach about healthy eating.
- Enjoy your food, but eat less
- Avoid oversized portions
Foods to Increase
- Make half your plate fruits and vegetables
- Make at least half your grains whole grains
- Switch to fat-free or low-fat (1%) milk
Foods to Reduce
- Compare sodium in foods like soup, bread, and frozen meals - and choose the foods with lower numbers
- Drink water instead of sugary drinks
Physical activity is crucial to maintaining a healthy lifestyle. It is important to get 150 minutes of moderate-intensity cardio exercise per week. Moderate-intensity exercises include activities like brisk walking, yoga, or golf. Another option is doing 20-60 minutes, three times a week of vigorous-intensity exercise. Some examples of vigorous-intensity exercises include jogging, playing basketball, and cycling.
Where can I exercise?
Campus Rec Center: Your rec membership is included in your tuition. Whether you like to swim, rock climb, lift weights or cardio there are several options for you. They also offer free group fitness classes, check out the schedule here.
Nippert, Sheakley Lawn or Gettler Stadium: Run the tracks, get a game of soccer going or even practice yoga!
Burnet Woods: Ride a bike, play Frisbee golf, or even run. Enjoy the outdoors on nice days.
Your house, residence hall or apartment: There are several at home work outs you can do in the comfort of your own home!