- Tobacco Free UC Website - Website with details about UC's Tobacco Free Policy.
- RA Resources - Bulletin boards and posters available to RAs in our office.
Tobacco is the leading preventable cause of premature death in the United States and kills more than 400,000 Americans every year. This is more than deaths caused from alcohol, AIDS, car crashes, illegal drugs, murders, and suicides combined!
What's in Tobacco?
Every puff of cigarette has more than 4,000 different chemicals including:
- Ammonia: a poisonous gas and a powerful toilet cleaner
- Cyanide: a deadly ingredient in rat poison
- Acetone: a poisonous solvent, paint stripper, and nail polish remover
- Formaldehyde: used to preserve dead bodies
- Polonium-210: a highly radioactive element
- Carbon Monoxide: a poisonous gas
*More than 40 of the 4,000 chemicals found in tobacco are considered to be capable of causing cancer.
Effects of Smoking Cigarettes
Short Term Effects
- Bad Breath
- Smelly Hair & Clothes
- Decreased Sensation in Taste Buds
- Difficulty with sports or exercise
Long Term Effects
- Known to cause lung, larynx, oral cavity, and esophagus cancers.
- Contributes to kidney, pancreatic, stomach, cervical, uterine, and multiple forms of leukemia.
- Heart Disease
- Respiratory Disease
- Yellow or Brown Teeth
UC students believed that only 8% of students had never smoked a cigarette, however in actuality 76% of UC students have never smoked a cigarette.
This shows that the majority of students don't smoke, but we think more do. UC's tobacco policy states:
Effective May 1, 2017, smoking and tobacco use (including chewing tobacco and electronic cigarettes) shall be prohibited by students, staff, faculty, visitors, vendors, and contractors at all times in or on University of Cincinnati Properties, including events on university property during non-school hours, including but not limited to the following: all facilities owned or leased by the University of Cincinnati as well as the grounds of any property owned or leased by the university. This includes all shelters, indoor and outdoor theaters and athletic facilities, bridges, walkways, sidewalks, residence halls, parking lots, and street parking and garages owned by the university. Please note this also prohibits smoking inside personal vehicles parked on university property as well as any vehicles owned, operated or leased by the University of Cincinnati.