Faculty & Staff Resources

The Student Wellness Center is available to provide support if you are concerned about a student and have questions. 

Faculty and staff can have a positive influence on student behavior, including with alcohol and drug use. Your impact can help UC students make healthy decisions and succeed academically.

One way to support students is by identifying and referring students who may be at risk for substance use disorder. As a faculty or staff member, you likely interact with students on a daily basis and may be the first to notice if a student is having personal struggles. As a result, you could be in a position to connect students with resources, even if their struggles are not alcohol or drug-related.

How You Can Help

Warning Signs of an Alcohol/Drug Disorder

  • Smelling alcohol on the student in or after class.
  • Declining work performance, such as missing class, turning in assignments late, or coming to class late.
  • Mood changes, such as irritability, defensiveness, and anger.
  • Hearing from another student that there might be a drinking or drug problem.
  • Often, a pattern of behavior is an indicator of a problem, not just a one-time occurrence. 

What You Can Say

If you suspect that a student could have a substance use disorder, the first thing to do is communicate your concerns with the student. If you’re not quite sure what to say, you can reach out to a counselor at CAPS or UHS for advice. Meet with the student in a private location, during a time where interruptions will be low and when you are not rushed. Suggested talking points are below.

  • Express your concern about the student by saying “I am concerned about you.”
  • Describe the observed behaviors in a non-judgmental way. For example, “I am concerned about how much class you have been missing, and when you do come to class, you are not focused and I can smell alcohol on your breath.”
  • Make a referral for support using the resources. For example, “CAPS is a great resource for students on campus. They have trained professionals who can talk to you about your alcohol/drug use and can do an assessment to determine your level of risk. They also have an online assessment you can take if you’d feel more comfortable starting there.” Please note that you cannot force the student to seek resources or support; you can simply share the information and encourage the student to reach out for help.
  • Follow up to see how the student is doing. 

Other Ways to Get Involved

  • Add information to your syllabus about the ways that alcohol and drug use can impact academic performance. You can also include and share information about the Bearcats Recovery Community on your syllabus and through email with students.
  • Avoid sending mixed messages about alcohol. For example, do not cancel classes the day after large events where students might consume alcohol.
  • Discuss alcohol and drug use during academic advising sessions. This is a great time to help students explore the ways that their behaviors (both alcohol/drug-related and not) could be impacting them in and out of the classroom.
  • Take a few minutes in class or in meetings to discuss alcohol/drug-related events that might be in the media. This could also be a good time to share statistics about student alcohol and drug use—not all students at UC use alcohol or drugs, and if they do, they use them in low-risk ways. Correcting this misperception could help students to change their behaviors.
  • Infuse alcohol and drug use and prevention into your curriculum. Alcohol and drug use could be explored in economics, sociology, health, criminology, biology, and political science classes, to name a few.
  • Encourage students to do papers and final projects on alcohol and drug use, particularly as it relates to college students.
  • Share alcohol and drug prevention programming and events that are happening on campus. Help spread the word about ways that students can get involved and participate in substance-free activities on campus.
  • Get involved in the Campus-Community Alcohol and Other Drug Coalition. You can also encourage your colleagues and students to get more involved with the Coalition and in other ways on campus.
  • Make a referral to the CARE Team or CAPS if you think a student needs additional support.

If you are interested in UC facts or ways to incorporate alcohol into your curriculum, please contact the Student Wellness Center.

Information adapted from the University of Scranton and the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire.

Resources for Referrals

C.A.R.E. Team

The C.A.R.E Team responds to reports about students whose behavior is raising concerns within the University community. The team's crisis flowchart can help you determine the appropriate actions to take in each case. You may also want to file a Student of Concern report. Reportable behaviors may include Student Code of Conduct violations, Residence Hall violations, a student who you feel may be struggling physically or psychologically, or any other behaviors of concern that you would like to see addressed or would like to discuss.

Contact: Assistant Dean of Students Daniel Cummins

Counseling & Psychological Services (CAPS)

CAPS  offers accessible, student centered, inclusive, and effective mental health services to UC students and they seek to actively foster a community of care at UC to support student success. CAPS supports student success through prevention, training and education, brief treatment services, and 24/7 crisis support services. 

Office/24 Hour Helpline: 513-556-0648
Location: 225 Calhoun Street, Suite 200

Public Safety

Public Safety at the University of Cincinnati is committed to providing a safe campus environment for students, faculty, staff and visitors.

Office: 513-556-4900
Non-Emergency Numbers: 513-556-1111 or 513-558-1111
Location: Edwards 3

Office of Gender, Equity, & Inclusion (Title IX)

The Office of Gender, Equity, & Inclusion leads the university in creating and maintaining a community in which all persons may participate in university programs and activities regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, gender or gender identity and expression.

Office: 513-556-3349
Location: 308 USquare, 225 Calhoun St. 

University Health Services

University Health Services is a comprehensive healthcare clinic for students. All registered students can be seen at the facility and most insurance plans are accepted. 

Office: 513-556-2564
Location: Lindner Athletic Center, Room 335

Campus Partners


Athletics is committed to comprehensive excellence in the pursuit of creating meaningful academic, athletic and social experiences for our student-athletes. 


Fraternity & Sorority Life

Fraternity & Sorority Life (FSL) engages students and chapters through intellectual development, philanthropy and service, social responsibility and citizenship, leadership development, and values integration and personal growth.

Office: 513-556-1155
Location: Stratford Heights, Building 16, Lower Level

Resident Education & Development

Resident Education & Development (RED) is responsible to provide leadership in the development of a positive community within the residence halls. Most staff live in the residence halls along with the students. A team member is available 24 hours a day to provide emergency assistance if needed. 

Office: 513-556-6476 and resedev@uc.edu
Location: Marian Spencer Hall, 2nd Floor

Student Conduct & Community Standards (SCCS)

Student Conduct & Community Standards (SCCS) is dedicated to upholding the Bearcat Bond by Administering the Student Code of Conduct.

Office: 513-556-6814
Location: Steger Student Life Center, Suite 557

Student Wellness Center

The Student Wellness Center empowers students to make informed decisions regarding their health and wellness by providing evidence-based education, inclusive resources, and non-judgmental support.

Office: 513-556-6124
Location: Steger Student Life Center, Suite 480