UC Safety Alert: Jan. 30, 2023
Jan. 30, 2023
Dear UC Community,
UCPD is investigating multiple incidents that occurred on Jan. 29, 2023, in Daniels Hall. There were three reported burglary incidents, one reported theft incident, and one reported sexual imposition that all are believed to involve the same suspects, all of whom are believed to be male juveniles.
Sexual assault includes any sexual act directed against another person, without the consent of the complainant. Consent is an affirmative agreement through clear actions or words to engage in intimate and/or sexual activity. Individuals giving the consent must act freely, voluntarily, and with understanding of their actions.
If you or someone you know is a victim of a sex- or gender-based crime and do not want to file a police report, you can make a report with the Office of Gender Equity & Inclusion (OGEI). For information about supportive measures and campus and community support services, visit OGEI’s website.
Important Safety Tips:
Responsibility for sexual imposition and assault lies with the perpetrators, not the survivor. Most offenders assault someone they know. No one deserves, asks for, or provokes sexual imposition or assault. The following suggestions may help reduce the possibility of experiencing such a crime or may improve opportunities to receive prompt assistance.
- If you see something, say something. It’s on all of us to keep campus safe. Information about is available on the Student Wellness Center’s website.
- If you observe suspicious activity, or are a victim of a crime, call 911.
- Keep doors and windows locked, even if you’re only leaving for a couple of minutes.
- Have an inventory of your valuables with make, model, and serial numbers.
- Always password protect your electronic devices.
- Remember to save documents and information to a folder on UC’s server and not directly on your computer/laptop.
- Trust your instincts. If you feel unsafe, get to a safe place and call for help.
- NightRide is a free evening shuttle. Track it live using Transloc.
- Download the Bearcat Guardian app for additional resources. The app is available for free on the App Store or Google Play.
In a non-emergency situation, you can reach UCPD at 513-556-1111 or Cincinnati Police at 513-765-1212. For more information about UC’s safety resources visit the Public Safety website.
Eliot K. Isaac
Director of Public Safety and Chief of Police