Further action is required to make this featured image accessible
The below criteria must be satisfied:
- Add featured-image alt tag (in page properties OR on image metadata in the dam)
The image will not display until the issue above is resolved.
Uniting the Ivory Tower and the Smokestack: Co-op Turns 100!
When the previous century was young in 1906 to be exact an equally youthful educator at the University of Cincinnati built a tenuous bridge between educations ivory tower and industrys smokestack. He sent 27 untested engineering students into turn-of-the-century mines and mills to see what lessons theyd learn from the paid positions hed arranged for them.
So, UC began whats known around the world in 43 countries at last count as Cooperative Education, a timeless practice of transforming youth to experience.
Today as we approach the 2005-2006 school year, hundreds of thousands of students studying everything from accounting to urban affairs continue the ever-expanding educational experiment which was once defined in Websters unabridged dictionary as The Cincinnati Plan. Using the classroom as their home base, co-op allows students around the globe to alternate quarters or semesters spent in school with paid, professional experience related directly to their majors, just like those first UC students. These co-op terms are sequential, each one adding ever-advancing layers of professional responsibility linked back to classroom lessons. In other words, co-op means a salary well earned and academics well learned.
Further action is required to make this image accessible
One of the below criteria must be satisfied:
- Add image alt tag OR
- Mark image as decorative
The image will not display on the live site until the issue above is resolved.
closes in on its 100th birthday year, were not blowing smoke about its educational impact and value to employers and communities. For more on campus centennial celebrations and on co-op itself, check out the links below.
- Co-op Centennial Celebrations: Live and On-Line
- How Co-op Differs from Internships
- A Sampling of UC Co-op Achievements
- Co-op's Million-Dollar Impact on One Company
- Meet Todays Co-ops
- A Few Co-op Alums
- A 100-Year-Old Co-op Alum and Others Now Writing In
- Excerpts from Coming Coffee-Table Book, The Ivory Tower and The Smokestack
- He Was Ever Co-Optimistic: Herman Schneider, Co-ops Founder
- Co-op By the Numbers: As Easy As 1-2-3
- Just the (Co-op) Facts
- Mapping Co-ops Spread: The Cincinnati Plan Circles the Globe
- University of Cincinnati Magazine Covers Co-op
- Another Centennial Web Site