Office of Equal Opportunity & Access
The Office of Equal Opportunity & Access is responsible for ensuring compliance with university policies and federal and state laws pertaining to equal opportunity and affirmative action. The Office:
- Coordinates the development and implementation of the University of Cincinnati affirmative action plan, equal opportunity policies and procedures, and promotes diversity in all of the programs and activities of the university in consultation with colleges and administrative offices
- Investigates and resolves complaints of discrimination filed by students, staff, and faculty
- Conducts education and awareness programs in the areas of Sexual Harassment, Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Diversity, and Affirmative Action.
What We Do
The Office of Equal Opportunity & Access has the responsibility of developing, revising, implementing, monitoring, and evaluating the affirmative action program and plan, and the equal employment practices of the University of Cincinnati.
The Office of Equal Opportunity & Access, in recognizing and protecting the rights of all university community members, promotes these on-going activities:
- Review internal policies and procedures to ensure the university meets its legal obligations and its commitment to both the letter and the spirit of the law.
- Review all personnel appointments to ensure the full utilization of protected class members.
- Maintain data and statistics on the current utilization status of protected class members.
- Work with departments in the development of affirmative action programs for the recruitment and support of protected class members.
- Provide publications such as the university's annual Affirmative Action Report, and brochures on sexual harassment, discrimination, diversity, and the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act).
- Act as a resource for information on affirmative action/ equal employment opportunity legislation.
- Conduct activities to resolve complaints of discrimination from employees and students.
The mission of the Office of Equal Opportunity & Access is to provide the highest quality leadership in the development of programs that will assist the University of Cincinnati community to achieve a diverse work force and ensure access to employment and educational opportunities for all persons.
The vision of the Office of Equal Opportunity & Access is to serve as a strategic partner promoting equal opportunity and diversity at the University of Cincinnati.
The Office of Equal Opportunity & Access has the responsibility for monitoring the full implementation of the university's Affirmative Action Plan and for facilitating its implementation. The duties and responsibilities of the office include, but are not necessarily limited to the following:
- To assist the colleges and administrative units to achieve diversity and inclusion through the use of affirmative action strategies.
- Development, dissemination, and execution of policy statements, affirmative action programs, and internal and external communication measures.
- Assist in the identification of problem areas and facilitating the establishment of goals in cooperation with vice presidents, deans and department directors.
- Assist the deans, department directors and managers in arriving at solutions to problems.
- Design and implement audit and reporting systems that will:
- Measure the effectiveness of the university's programs.
- Indicate the need for remedial action.
- Determine the degree to which the university's goals and objectives have been attained.
- Serve as liaison with people of color, women, veterans, disabled and other organizations and community groups to promote equal opportunity and inclusion.
- Keep the university's vice presidents, deans, and department directors informed of the latest developments in the equal opportunity area.
- Ensure that employees are informed of the university's internal appeals procedures and that they are afforded an opportunity to have redress on any matter concerning equal opportunity. Persons who exercise their rights under the university's grievance and appeals procedures, or under any federal, state, or local statute may do so without fear of reprisal or discrimination.
- Investigate all internal complaints professionally, objectively and in a non-partisan manner while maintaining fairness to all concerned.
- Develop equal opportunity policies and procedures.
- Review and approve all personnel appointments.
- Assist departments in establishing and achieving goals.
- Maintain employment statistics on all employees.
- Provide education and awareness programs.
- Investigate and resolve complaints of discrimination.
The Office of Equal Opportunity & Access
5150 Edwards Center 1
45 Corry Blvd, ML 0214 Cincinnati, OH 45221