Community Education & Workshops
The Office of Equal Opportunity & Access is to ensure compliance with affirmative action regulations and implementation of equitable hiring practices at UC. In large part, we fulfill these compliance obligations through provision of assistance and education to search committees/hiring units and auditing of institutional personnel processes.
The following services provided by our office may greatly benefit your search process:
- Search committee education (available as individual consultations and/or committee/group sessions)
- On demand applicant pool diversity tracking and progress towards goals
- Review of search processes and screening tools (i.e. interview questions, rubrics, job postings and other applicant materials for job-relatedness and avoidance of implicit/explicit bias)
- Consultation on search questions/process, compliance expectations and diversity strategies.
To schedule consultation from the Office of Equal Opportunity & Access, please contact us at:
Office of Equal Opportunity & Access
5150 Edwards Center 1
Other topics include:
Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA)
- Reviews the laws and our responsibility for its implementation.
- Explains physical and mental disabilities.
- Identifies who is protected by the ADA.
- Highlights the relationship of the ADA and employment practices.
- Defines reasonable accommodations.
Creating a Respectful Workplace
- Reviews federal laws and UC policies that govern harassment and discrimination in the workplace and campus setting.
- Highlights the different forms of harrasment.
- Explains when, where, and how to file complaints of harassment or discrimination.
- Discusses management and leadership's roles in handling allegations of harassment or discrimination.
- Explains the University's responsibility in investigating allegations of harassment or discrimination.
- Highlights the importance of valuing and managing workplace diversity.
- Explains how changing demographics impact today’s workplace.
- Illustrates the connection between diversity and successful organizations.
- Shows how to create a workplace where people of all cultural backgrounds can succeed.
- Identifies personal attitudes and behaviors toward differences.
- Recognizes how individual differences influence personal and business interactions.
- Determines steps organizations and groups can take to create a more inclusive, respectful and productive workplace.
Equal Employment Opportunity/ Affirmative Action (EEO/AA)
- Debunks myths about EEO/AA.
- Increases employee knowledge of the issues and responsibilities concerning EEO/AA.
- Provides a working knowledge of current laws.
- Defines terms associated with EEO/AA.
- Clarifies differences between “goals” and “quotas”.
- Creates the awareness that sexual harassment exists and can be prevented.
- Defines sexual harassment.
- Describes why sexual harassment is a problem.
- Profiles a typical victim and a typical harasser.
- Demonstrates what to do if you experience sexual harassment.