An adaptive reuse project by UC Planning, Design + Construction will transform the interior of the vacant Second Church of Christ Scientist at the corner of Clifton Avenue and Probasco Street into an auditorium space seating more than 330. It will also house classroom space, and it’s anticipated that the $8.5 million project will be ready for use in Fall 2021.
The neoclassical Greek Revival exterior, built nearly a century ago in 1921, will be preserved, and the interior will be preserved and renovated as a lecture hall, with input from faculty working in partnership with PD+C.
According to Seibert, “The vision for Probasco Auditorium is to create a contemporary learning environment in a repurposed but preserved historic architectural space. We want to maintain as much of the existing character as possible.”
Among the needed renovations are a complete HVAC removal and replacement, installation of restrooms, upgrade to the building elevator and more. Audio visual equipment will be added to meet educational needs.
Nathan Hess, president of the CUF (Clifton Heights, University Heights and Fairview) Neighborhood Association, said, “We’re glad the university values the building for its architectural character and seeks to retain a beautiful building in the neighborhood and that it will be used for a good purpose. It’s a happy outcome to see it maintained as the beautiful space it is.”
As such, he looks forward to the time the renovated space might also be used for public purposes and events open it to the neighborhood’s wide mix of people – including families and senior citizens.