UC's 'Blind Injustice' opera premieres to acclaim, makes national news
The opera, based on the stories of six people freed with the help of UC's Ohio Innocence Project, met with acclaim when it premiered July 22-26 at Cincinnati's Music Hall
"Blind Injustice," an innovative opera drawing on the lives of six people freed through the work of the Ohio Innocence Project at the University of Cincinnati College of Law, premiered July 22 at the world-renowned Cincinnati Opera to national acclaim. The event was recognized by many in the Wall Street Journal and NPR, local media and the opera world.
The sold-out performances were a collaboration between the OIP, Cincinnati Opera, Young Professionals Choral Collective (YPCC) and the UC College-Conservatory of Music Opera Department. The work was based on casework by the OIP and the book “Blind Injustice” by Cincinnati Law Professor and Innocence Project Director Mark Godsey, as well as interviews with the exonerees.
Not only was "Blind Injustice" an opportunity to communicate the exonerees’ stories in a unique format, it was also a creative way to share the work of the innocence movement to new audiences. Here's a look at some of the media coverage.
Blind Injustice in the news
- Wall Street Journal: Blind Injustice Review: Stories of the Innocent
- NPR's All Things Considered: ‘Blind Injustice’ opera earns national stage
- WCPO & Yahoo News: ‘Blind Injustice’ showcases exonerees’ true stories through opera
- WVXU/Cincinnati Edition: 'Blind Injustice' tells operatic story of the wrongfully convicted
- Fox19 Now: Cincinnati Opera’s “Blind Injustice”
- City Beat: Cincinnati Opera's 'Blind Injustice' is a 'masterpiece'
- Cincinnati Business Courier: Opera's powerful premier 'Blind Injustice' explores wrongful convictions
- Cincinnati Business Courier: Review: Cincinnati Opera’s ‘Blind Injustice’ intense, powerful storytelling
- WWFM (The Classical Network), WJAB: ‘Blind Injustice’ opera sets out to open eyes about wrongful conviction rates
- Seen and Heard-International: Cincinnati Opera does great justice to Blind Injustice
- Cincinnati Magazine: Cincinnati Opera tells the powerful story of the Ohio Innocence Project
- Cincinnati Magazine Podcast: Inside the issue
- Cincinnati Enquirer: Ohio Innocence Project, Cincinnati Opera team up for ‘Blind Injustice’ (subscription access)
- Soapbox Media: Cincinnati Opera teaming up with OIP to broaden audience awareness
- UC Magazine: From prison to center stage
- Opera News: In Review: Blind Injustice