Article has no nextliveshere tags assigned

Article has no topics tags assigned

Article has no colleges tags assigned

Description is empty

Article has no audiences tags assigned

Article has no units tags assigned

Contacts are empty

These messages will display in edit mode only.

Cincinnati Business Courier: UC medical school welcomes most diverse class ever

Cincinnati Business Courier reported on the UC College of Medicine's 24th annual White Coat Ceremony.  The college welcomed 185 newly admitted first-year students Aug. 9 during a ceremony at Aronoff Center. 

Twenty-three percent (or 43 students) of this year’s class are from ethnic backgrounds that are underrepresented in medicine—the highest percentage ever in the college’s history. There is a near-even split between men and women enrollees. Men account for 50.3% (93 students) of the incoming class while women are 49.7% (92 students). 

Austin Thompson, above, receives his white coat from Mia Mallory, MD, associate dean for diversity, equity and inclusion in the college, as Interim College of Medicine Dean Andy Filak Jr. (back to us) and Philip Diller, MD, PhD, senior associate dean for educational affairs in the college, look on.

First-generation college students account for 14% (26 students) in the incoming class. Ohio residents account for 52% (96 students) while non-Ohio residents account for the remaining 48%. The average cumulative undergraduate grade point average for the class is 3.75 with an average medical college admission test (MCAT) score is 515.

This is also the first year UC has asked medical students if they identify as LGBTQ+ during an admissions survey and 7% identified as such.

Learn more about White Coat at COM

Read the Business Courier Story

Listen to WVXU's mention of White Coat

Read about White Coat in the Cincinnati Herald